"High Coast - a world heritage" Västernorrlands Län by El_Sueco
Västernorrlands Län Travel Guide: 104 reviews and 182 photos
Just north of the H?ga Kusten-bridge is the world heritage "H?ga Kusten" (the High Coast).
(Sweden has twelve world heritage places today, 2003)
At the last great ice-age 20000 years ago north Europe was covered with ice. In the north part of Sweden the thickness of the ice was 3 km and it did press the land down some 800 meters under the present level. After the melting of the ice the earth has tried to go back to its original level. At this part of Sweden land-rising is 8 mm each year. (This means that in your life time and with good memory you will clearly note the difference of the sea level.)
The highest placed witnesses of a seashore is at H?ga Kusten. The ancient stone-fields reminding of the shores are now at a level of 286 meters over present sea level.
The land-rising of 800 meters is without comparision in the world and this was the motif that H?ga Kusten in 2000 was signed as a World Heritage.
El_Sueco's Related Pages
Västernorrlands Län Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Porteplume's Page about Medelpad & Sundsvall"
- "High Coast - a world heritage"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Västernorrlands Län
- Hotels in Västernorrlands Län
- Transportation in Västernorrlands Län
- Nightlife in Västernorrlands Län
- Restaurants in Västernorrlands Län
- Shopping in Västernorrlands Län
- Warnings and Dangers in Västernorrlands Län
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Västernorrlands Län
- 4 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Västernorrlands Län?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Västernorrlands Län
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lima Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 38 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arvika Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malmslätt Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Talavera de la Reina Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandoval Intro, 7 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ávila de los Caballeros Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues