"Gotlands län" Gotlands Län by El_Sueco
Gotlands Län Travel Guide: 278 reviews and 709 photos
Sweden is divided in 24 departments (län). Each department includes several municipalities (kommuner).
In this special case the department 'Gotlands län' is the same as 'Gotland', the commun. (There is only one commun and it´s name is Gotland).
Gotland is the biggest island east of Sweden. Its capital is Visby, an very old merchant city on the west coust of Gotland.
The wall around the central part of the Visby city was constructed 1250-1300. It is the best preserved city wall in northern Europe. It had 29 towers of which 27 still exists.
1995 Visby was listed as an UNESCO World heritage.
Gotland is a flat island with a special nature.
Gotland is a popular summer island. There are daily boats from Stockholm and Oxelösund and also connection with aeroplane (35 min from Stockholm).
On the west side you have stony beaches and on the east side there is sand beaches.
In summer Gotland is very suited for going around on bicycle, which you hire in the harbour when coming with the ferrie.
There are several camping grounds on Gotland. In Visby there are also a great number of 'bed and breakfast'.
Gotland is famous for all its stone churches from medevial time.
There is also a great number of sheeps and rabbits.
What make Gotland so special and what are there to look at. Here is my spontaneous list:
- Visby (The 'capital' on the island. Look at the old town, well protected inside the city walls.)
- Fårö (The island north of Gotland. Connection with ferry. Sand beaches on east side, fields with 'wandering' sand.
- Lummelunda (The caves at Lummelunda, north of Visby)
- Slite (Harbour on east side, village with great cement industry)
- Rauks (a rauk = a stone that has been left when sorrounding cliffs have eroded. Best looked at on north side)
- On east side several playas.
- Torsburgen (old 'fortress' made of stones on a natural hill) See page.
- Hoburgsgubben (The Stone man at Hoburg, a rauk at the south with a 'face')
- Medevial week in Visby in August(?)
- Saffron pancake (a speciality on Gotland)
- Look at all the churches on the island, very old, mostly made of stone and very beautiful.
- The Bunge Museum (a museum of older time, houses, furniture etc)
- Visby Fornsal (The old time museum in Visby, see the gold treasure)
- Erected stones with painting
- Erected stones in shape of ships
- The cafés. Inside the Visby city wall you have for instance the 'Rosa cafe' the most wellknown.
- Cheramic workshops (I think the best one is in Ethelhem, in the center of the island)
- Sheeps (you can buy fur coat and other sheep products, sometimes popular as carpets and as warm 'shoes')
- Look at the rabbits (a special type of hare called 'rabbit' even in Swedish)
I have added a travellog in my Gotland page (i.e. not this page which is 'Gotlands län') with black and white photos from 1979, I don´t think the motifs have changed.
- Pros:Beautiful island, distinct from the rest of Sweden
- Cons:In summer months just to many tourists in the city of Visby.
The church has after some restauration work a beautiful church room with lime paintings, which are one of the best at... more travel advice
El_Sueco's Related Pages
Gotlands Län Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Gotlands Län
- Hotels in Gotlands Län
- Transportation in Gotlands Län
- Nightlife in Gotlands Län
- Restaurants in Gotlands Län
- Shopping in Gotlands Län
- Warnings and Dangers in Gotlands Län
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gotlands Län
- 14 Reviews
- 47 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Gotlands Län?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gotlands Län
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lima Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 38 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arvika Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malmslätt Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Talavera de la Reina Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandoval Intro, 7 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ávila de los Caballeros Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues