"Eketorps borg (The Fortress of Eketorp)" Eketorp by El_Sueco
Eketorp Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 18 photos
Eketorp is the only fortress from ancient time on Öland that has been totally investigated. After the excavation (1964-1973) terminated, parts of the settlement have been reconstructed.
Eketorp is located on Alvaret, the flat land on Öland (which is considered a World Heritage).
The original fortress have been built in three phases:
- Eketorp I, 300-400 A.d.
- Eketorp II, 400-700 A.D.
- Eketorp III, 1000-1300 A.D.
The first phase was 57 m in diameter and contained 20 houses. The two later phases is a construction of 80 m diameter with a defense wall outside. 53 houses were constructed inside.
On site have been found silver coins, weapons and horse equipment, which implies that Eketorp was of importance both strategical and for merchants.
Collectings from the excavations consists of 26000 findings and three tons(!) of bones.
The construction have three gates, at north, at south and at the sea (which then was at a higher level than today).
Inside the fortress several houses have been reconstructed to show the way people were living.
Inside the wall are some black small pigs running free, they are crossings between ordinary pigs and wild boar, to try to give the right picture of the life in older time.
At the site many experiments with construction technics etc have been carried out.
The museum at the site is very well ordered, with clearly stated signs and many interresting findings. (totally number of findings is 20000, all of course are not shown at the museum)
- Pros:Amazing, a construction that gives you much inspiration to learn more about older times!
- Cons:Slightly isolated in the south of Öland, but go there...
- In a nutshell:If you come to Öland, this is the must.
El_Sueco's Related Pages
Eketorp Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Eketorps borg (The Fortress of Eketorp)"
- "Eketorp - A living Viking Fortress"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Eketorp
- 1 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Eketorp?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Eketorp
Photos in EketorpSee All Photos (4)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lima Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 38 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arvika Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malmslätt Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Talavera de la Reina Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandoval Intro, 7 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ávila de los Caballeros Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues