"On top of Sweden" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna by El_Sueco
Kiruna Travel Guide: 180 reviews and 365 photos
A week in the north part of Sweden. Airflight Arlanda Stockholm to Kiruna.
Taxi/Bus to Nikkaluokta.
Tracking from Nikkaluokta to Kebnekaijse.
Attempt to reach the top of Kebnekaijse, the highest montain in Sweden.
Tourist hotels are closing at 19 September (2004).
(Half the pictures 2002 with courtesy by Chris, to the left on picture)
Flying time from Stockholm Arlanda to Kiruna Airport is approx 1,5 hours. Check time tables, this year there were two direct connections from Stockholm each day.
Prices: 235 USD trip with return (2004)
Airport - City: 4 USD
Alternative rout: train from Stockholm, more or less the same price as flying. Time 18 hours.
60 km to the wilderness.
In Kiruna you can buy camping equipment, food etc.
But you can also take a taxi directly to Nikkaluokta from the airport in order to save time. Prices can differ depending on season.
If you want to look at Kiruna town after your trip maybe you will have some hours on the return from the wilderness.
From Kiruna city: Bus to Nikkaluokta: 6,5 USD
Taxi 70 USD
In the tourist center in Nikkaluokta you can buy camping gas (but to be sure, make a telephone checking before!).
From Nikkaluokta you have several possibilities to enjoy the wilderness of north Sweden.
In my travellog I describe our attempt to climb Kebnekaise.
(In 2002 we did not succed in reaching the top, so I have added a few pictures from the top taken in year 2001)
I have also made a small overview of Kiruna.
(Amendment 2003: I reached the top once more in 2003, not so many photos taken though.
What struck me most was that the upper top of the montain that is snow and ice has melted from +2215 m til +2205 m, official measurings. We also noticed that some other parts on the way uphill that was snow and ice in 2001 [- and also in 2002 as far as we reached], this year 2003 has melted. Not a pleasent discover to see.)
New successfull attempt was made with greater expedition (6 persons) in 2004.
No expedition in 2005.
Latest expedition was made in august 2006 (4 persons: Chris, Lennart, Anders and Håkan (El_Sueco)), including day-trekking to the Tarfala tourist station from the Kebnekaijse Mountain Loudge. No time for resting this year. "When the going gets tough, the tough gets going."
- Pros:Nature at its best! Drinking water directly from the brooks!
- Cons:Weather can change rapidly, you have to prepare for cold!
- In a nutshell:This will be a yearly tradition!
Flying has a bit higher price than the train, but is more easy. Do not get desperate when you leave, if you have not... more travel advice
This church was 2001 elected as the most beautiful building all times in Sweden. Situated in the city of Kiruna it is... more travel advice
El_Sueco's Related Pages
Kiruna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The City with Both Darkness and Light"
- "The Northest town of Sweden"
- "Dogsledding in Kiruna"
- "Above the Arctic Circle"
- "On top of Sweden"
- "Giron - mines, space and fun"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kiruna
- Hotels in Kiruna
- Transportation in Kiruna
- Nightlife in Kiruna
- Restaurants in Kiruna
- Shopping in Kiruna
- Warnings and Dangers in Kiruna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kiruna
- 19 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Kiruna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kiruna
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lima Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 38 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arvika Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malmslätt Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Talavera de la Reina Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandoval Intro, 7 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ávila de los Caballeros Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues