"Sigtuna" Top 5 Page for this destination Sigtuna by El_Sueco
Sigtuna Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 228 photos
Sigtuna is located on short distance to the great airport Arlanda and to Stockholm. During last centuries Sigtuna is known as an cultural and educational town.
However, Sigtuna is one of the oldest town in Sweden. It was founded in 970 A.D.
The main street Stora gatan is often called the oldest city street in Sweden.
The Maria Church was built by the Dominicans. It dates 1250 A.D. and is one of the oldest monastery church in Sweden.
Another important church (ruin) is the church of Sankt Per (Sanct Peter). Do not miss that, as I did. It is situated on the western side of the central part of the city. This church, which now is only a ruin is considered to have been the main church in this region before the church in Old Upsala was built in 1190 A.D. The vault in the middle of Sankt Per is the oldest vault in Sweden.
Sigtuna is beautiful placed at the lake Mälaren. Here a view from Strandvägen.
The tourist information office you will find on Storgatan, not far from Stora torget. Go there and get some info ... more travel advice
Situated just near the Maria Church is the well preserved ruin of St Olof Church. It is thought to have been constructed... more travel advice
El_Sueco's Related Pages
Sigtuna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Millenarian history a 30-minute bus ride away"
- "Sweden's oldest town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sigtuna
- Hotels in Sigtuna
- Transportation in Sigtuna
- Nightlife in Sigtuna
- Restaurants in Sigtuna
- Shopping in Sigtuna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sigtuna
- 5 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Sigtuna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sigtuna
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lima Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 38 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arvika Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malmslätt Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Talavera de la Reina Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandoval Intro, 7 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ávila de los Caballeros Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (21)
Latest Sigtuna hotel reviews
- 1909 Sigtuna Stads Hotell
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013