"Söderköping" Söderköping by El_Sueco
Söderköping Travel Guide: 10 reviews and 35 photos
Don´t miss this little town at the start (end) of Göta kanal (The Göta Channel).
The water way Göta kanal makes together with Göta Älv and the great lakes of Vänern and Vättern a water connection from the east side of Sweden to the west side (Gothenburg). The greatest building project ever in Sweden.
There are two camping grounds in Soderkoping, one outside the town and one in the center (that one I liked the best).
It is a small camping, mostly for caravan cars. (Located in the junction Erik Dahlbergsgatan and Ringvagen. In center part of pictures, where roads unite ).
There is also a bed and breakfast hotel. Beside there is a small hill and on top of that a nice café.
Hotel Soderkopings brunn has conference and hotel services.
Forgot to tell you about this wellknown ice-cream cafe that lies just besides of the sluices. In this place - oh, I hardly can control myself writing this - here you can by the best ice-cream in Sweden.
It will cost you a lot, but be a memory that makes it worth all the struggles to get there, and all queing of course if you come late.
(On this picture I am the first client that day, he-he, running in there at 10 o´clock in the morning I guess. No - I am not lying, the picture is taken after we ate the ice-cream, just look at my belly ;-)
This is one of the best preserved medieval cities in Sweden with a street pattern that is medieval and three buildings from that time: St Laurentii and Drothem churches and a building called the House of Johan III.
The Church St Laurentii made of bricks is from 1300.
Söderköping was an important city in the 1400 with connections to the merchants of Hansa (See pages on Visby).
With the land heaving (the ground of Sweden is going up after the Glacial Ice-era some 10000 years ago, you know) the harbour lost its importance and the town got competition from Norrkoping. In the 1700 the town had changed to a small agrar city.
- Pros:Friendly small town, good for summer visits.
- Cons:Sometimes crowded with cars on the main roads outside the town.
- In a nutshell:The start of Göta kanal and don´t miss the icecream.
The old St Laurentii church burned down in 1494. It was then rebuilt and inaugerated in 1497, just tree years after.... more travel advice
Visit Söderköpings Turistbyrå (Tourist info centre) and get the info you need, also ask for a city map to make yourself... more travel advice
El_Sueco's Related Pages
Söderköping Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Söderköping - A lovely place"
- "A typical swedish town"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Söderköping
- Hotels in Söderköping
- Restaurants in Söderköping
- Warnings and Dangers in Söderköping
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Söderköping
- 9 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Söderköping?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Söderköping
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lima Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 38 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arvika Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malmslätt Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Talavera de la Reina Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandoval Intro, 7 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ávila de los Caballeros Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues