"Ruinas de Chanchan" Ruinas de Chanchan by El_Sueco
Ruinas de Chanchan Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 24 photos
The archeological site covers 20 km2. Chan Chán was the capital of the Chimú Kingdom some 1000 years ago.
The town is divided into several rectangular sections 200-400 m long surrounded with walls up to 12 m high. The sections have got their names after archeologs that have been excavating; Tschudi, Uhle, Tello.
According to Michael Mosley each section has been used as a grave of its king and closed after his death and the people have build another section for the new king.
The Cimús were beaten by the Incas in 1460 which ment the end of the Chimú culture. When the Spanish came in 1533 the place was abandoned.
During the years the adobe walls have been to a great part destroyed by rains, earthquakes and reconstructors(!)
Findings of great value have been excavated on the site, for example in 1864 found a certain Colonel La Rosa a cubic meter of silver vessels, which he promptly melted down(!)
Protection work now is trying to conserve the constructions and protect them from rain by covering them on top, and to make careful restoration work.
El_Sueco's Related Pages
Ruinas de Chanchan Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Chan Chan"
- "Ruinas de Chanchan"
- "Ruinas Arqueológicas de Trujillo - Peru"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ruinas de Chanchan
- 1 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Ruinas de Chanchan?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruinas de Chanchan
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lima Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 38 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arvika Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malmslätt Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Talavera de la Reina Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandoval Intro, 7 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ávila de los Caballeros Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues