"Chorrillos" Chorrillos by El_Sueco
Chorrillos Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 26 photos
This page concerns the Municipalidad de Chorillos in the south of Lima. Chorrillos is one of the greatest municipalidades in Lima.
(This only location shows up, searching for Chorillos in Departemento de Lima, but the placement to others known locations in the database seems very strange).
- - -
Going south from the city of Lima on Via Expresa you will end up at Barranco and the next district is Chorrillos.
On this picture you can see two big streets: Av. Jose Olaya to the left and Av. A. Iglesias (the central Lima is "up" in the picture, somewhat to the left).
Houses in Chorrillos are two floor, sometimes three. The district is rapidly expanding on the south side.
In Chorrillos is the Morro Solor, nowadays closed, but earlier an astronomic observatory. On the hills in these days there are a forest of TV and mobile telephone antennas.
Limas greatest super market you will find in Chorrillos, the great Hipermercado Metro.
The view of Lima seen from the Morro Solar is impressive, at the sea boarder line you see the beaches and the road that goes north.
Constructing some piers in the sea a great bit of land has been wun from the sea, due to slower streaming and better settlement of the sand.
Down at the beach you can see the Regatta Club. There are also some good restaurants.
Chorrillos was formerly famous as a bathing place and resort but has now to compete with all the beaches south of Lima.
Chorrillos has a historical background, one notable thing is that Chorrillos was the birthplace of the great heroe Jose Olaya
The main road in Chorrillos that southbound will lead you to Pachacamac (15 kilometers), which was a very important place in the Inca Empire.
Normally this road is occupied by micros, combis, taxis, private cars, motorcycles and some crossing pedestrians.
At my last visit in July 2004 the Av . Huaylas was under reconstruction and repavement, which together with the new entry from the Costa Verde will give a fresh impression of this district.
- Pros:Good connection with the city by Via Expresa.
- Cons:Hard traffic in some areas.
- In a nutshell:Expanding suburb with a great history
Avenida Huaylas is the main street that goes through Chorrillos. At my last short visit in July 2004 there were great... more travel advice
In the struggle for independencia contra the Spanish Crown the fisherman from Chorrillos, Jose Silverio Olaya Balandra,... more travel advice
El_Sueco's Related Pages
Chorrillos Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Chorrillos
- 5 Reviews
- 26 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Chorrillos?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chorrillos
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lima Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 38 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arvika Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malmslätt Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Talavera de la Reina Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandoval Intro, 7 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ávila de los Caballeros Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues