"The Tempel of the Sun" Ruinas de Pachacamac by El_Sueco
Ruinas de Pachacamac Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 13 photos
The Tempel of the Sun is situated in the archeological site of Pachacamac.
To this place came captain Hernando Pizarro with 20 Spaniards in februari 1533. They forced their way to the tempel (at this moment says the sources, it was a slight trembling of the earth). On the top of the Solar Temple, there was a small room that served for devotion and sacrifices. The Spaniards opened the door and entered into the dark room, which was smelling awfully. In the dark the found no gold, just a wooden idol that they in their disapointness and anger took out and destroyed and burned it in the sight of the people living there. Scared by the blasfemi the people waited for the revenge by the Sun God, but nothing happened.
The Spanish group plundered the region and took the findings to Cajamarca with help of 10.000 carriers.
An wooden idol 2.5 m high, similar to that the Spaniards destroyed and which was found at the place, is now an important item in the museum at the site.
The Temple was constructed (after 1450) on orders from Cuzco and by coastal workers. It was an important place for pilgrims for devotion to the Sun.
- In a nutshell:One of the most important places in the Inca Empire
This is a picture of the wooden idol that the Spaniards took out and destroyed (well, not exactly that one, but a... more travel advice
The green valley of Lurin, seen from Pachacamac. This valley is close to Pachacamac, it is calm and nice and there are... more travel advice
El_Sueco's Related Pages
Ruinas de Pachacamac Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Ruinas de Pachacamac
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (116)
Have you been to Ruinas de Pachacamac?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ruinas de Pachacamac
Photos in Ruinas de PachacamacSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lima Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 38 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arvika Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malmslätt Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Talavera de la Reina Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandoval Intro, 7 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ávila de los Caballeros Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues