"Yungay" Yungay by El_Sueco
Yungay Travel Guide: 2 reviews and 11 photos
31, May 1970
Ranrahirca and Yungay
In May 1970, the 31th, there was an earthquake in Chimbote, at the coust.
The earthquake caused a part of the high mountain Huascarán to fall down, together with snow and ice it fell some thousands meter into the lake of Llanganuco.
This started an enormous landslide, a wave of stones, ice, snow, water and mud that first went up over a ridge and then went down over the towns of Yungay and Ranrahirca.
The velocity has been calculated to 11 km on 4 minutes. The towns were totally covered by 8-12 m soil.
Only a few persons survived, some being at the old cemetary. Many children were also saved as they were at the stadium watching the circus.
It is difficult to know the numbers of deaths caused by this natural disaster.
For the two villages Yungay and Ranrahirca I have in several sources read 70,000 deaths.
This distaster is still a big trauma for this region and for the country.
An estimation of all effects from the earthquake in Chimbote gives following numbers:
- 67,000 deaths
- 250,000 disappeared
- 180,000 injured
- 255 villages destroyed, some smaller, some greater.
(source: Gran Atlas Perú, 2002)
Of the palmes from Plaza de Armas just a few remains, and only one is alive (to the left in the middle of the photo).
A small memory monument is now constructed there (the foto above is taken before that was done).
- In a nutshell:An overwhelming feeling of life and the death
A beautiful scenery at the foot of Huascarán. more travel advice
El_Sueco's Related Pages
Badges & Stats in Yungay
- 5 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (16)
Have you been to Yungay?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Yungay
Photos in YungaySee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Lima Intro, 37 reviews, 78 photos, 5 travelogues
- Madrid Intro, 38 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues
- Stockholm Intro, 46 reviews, 49 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kiruna Intro, 19 reviews, 72 photos, 5 travelogues
- Arvika Intro, 33 reviews, 51 photos, 2 travelogues
- Cusco Intro, 23 reviews, 54 photos, 1 travelogue
- Malmslätt Intro, 24 reviews, 46 photos, 3 travelogues
- Talavera de la Reina Intro, 11 reviews, 54 photos, 5 travelogues
- Sandoval Intro, 7 reviews, 42 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ávila de los Caballeros Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues