"Much more than a cruise stop-MUCH more" Top 5 Page for this destination Majahual by whitneyone

Majahual Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 117 photos

Our introduction

don't be afraid to visit---the road to recovery after Hurricane Dean is is full swing! Great progress--and the water is still amazing.

We had been meaning to go to Mahahual for a while, but kept thinking, oh, you know, a beach is a beach, right?
Before I set foot here, however, there was something that kept calling me...and I don't know why. It was hard to leave Akumal on a rainy day for the trip. Yes it rained, and rained and rained the three hours down. and was pouring rain when i first set eyes on this little gem of a place.

A cruise ship was in port, there were taxis just JAMMING this little area and the potholes were huge. I should be not liking this very much thank you. But I did. In fact something clicked,right off the bat and I LOVED it. The more we drove, the two minutes through town....the two hours down the beachroad towards Xcalak, the more I loved it.
Even when we almost plunged into the Rio Huatch (thanks to a burned down bridge) I loved it.

This is your first look

After your turn of from the 307, you drive about a half hour. When you see this, you know you're there. Pretty hard to miss!

How to get there

It can be a haul, so to break the trip up from your starting point, be it Cancun, Playa del Carmen, Akumal or Even Tulum, Filipe Carillo Puerto has a beautiful little town square in front of the Church of the Talking Cross.
you pass through a little town callled Limones too, where they make a lot of furniture. But if you want some beautiful water, keep driving to Mahahual!

• Pros:As of this writing, still totally unspoiled
  • Cons:If you're not a beach person, leave this beauty to those who are!
  • In a nutshell:The last unspoiled area of Quintana Roo. Heaven.
  • Last visit to Majahual: Mar 2007
  • Intro Updated Apr 13, 2008

whitneyone

“It`s the journey...”

Badges & Stats in Majahual

Have you been to Majahual?

Latest Activity in Majahual