Playa del Carmen Transportation Tips by whitneyone Top 5 Page for this destination
Playa del Carmen Transportation: 40 reviews and 28 photos
All the major rental car companies are located in the cancun airport. Really, do yourself a favor and rent a car! We're VW bug fans, but since it was so hot we rented some kind of toyota from thrifty...the VW's don't have AIR! Our cost? 22 bucks a day. Total cost for four days was still less expensive than two people taking the shuttle to and from Cancun.
The "collectivos" are a good way to get from playa to other beach areas...problem is, they drop you off on the main highway. So you can end up walking a good half mile or more to get down to the beach. Parking is free everywhere.
The main highways are in GREAT shape. The Pay roads are in GREAT shape.
The only time you'll hit bumps, holes, etc are on dirt roads getting to some beaches or visiting villages inland...and oh, DO look out for 'topes". The are clearly marked and tell you you are c oming up on a village so slow down! You really have no choice. If your journey gives you the choice of a free or toll road, only take the free road if you have BUNDLES (as in HOURS) of extra time. Lots of villages. Lot's of Topes. We missed a flight once trying to take in some local color!!
Type: Car/Motor Home
Once you get the idea that you are going to run into speed bumps and pot holes you'll be fine. we rented a simple vw bug from Hertz for 170 bucks for a week. Manual trannie, no ac and really loved the freedom it gave us.
Some trips, like the one to Chichen Itza are very long. The pay road is really smooth but it's pricey. 19 bucks.
The free road is fine but you will be slowed down by the well marked speed bumps that are present before, during and after each small pueblito along the way. I would advise this trip only if you have PLENTY of time and a healthy longing for something off the beaten track.
Look into buses to Chichen Itza, our friends went for a total of 40 bucks a couple, and that included lunch! We spent 105 on our own between tolls, gas, admission and lunch.
If you hop the ferry to Cozumel be sure to rent a motor scooter. Bargain hard (we didn't!), they are all over the place for rent for a few hours or days.
Two people can ride on one, but the drivers hands do get tired from the gas and breaking. It's a fun a fairly safe adventure. Be a geek, wear your helmets!
Type: Car/Motor Home
More Reviews (76)
- See All Another photo of La Sirena
- See All And you can swim too
- See All The Fire Dance!
whitneyone's Related Pages
Playa del Carmen Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Playa del Carmen-my Mexican paradise"
- "Now THIS is the life!"
- "PLAYA DEL CARMEN"
- "Playa Del Carmen"
- "Riviera Maya - Culture, relax, sea and tequilla"
- "Playa del Carmen"
- "A beautiful playa in Playa"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Playa del Carmen
- Hotels in Playa del Carmen
- Transportation in Playa del Carmen
- Nightlife in Playa del Carmen
- Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
- Shopping in Playa del Carmen
- Warnings and Dangers in Playa del Carmen
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Playa del Carmen
- 78 Reviews
- 81 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 27 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (6)
Have you been to Playa del Carmen?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Playa del Carmen
Photos in Playa del CarmenSee All Photos (81)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Maui Intro, 87 reviews, 82 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Playa del Carmen Intro, 78 reviews, 81 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Akumal Intro, 26 reviews, 33 photos, 1 travelogue
- Saint Lucia Intro, 25 reviews, 25 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Majahual Intro, 13 reviews, 23 photos
- Los Angeles Intro, 14 reviews, 14 photos
- Costa Rica Intro, 14 reviews, 11 photos
- Tulum Intro, 11 reviews, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 8 reviews, 9 photos
- Lanai Intro, 7 reviews, 8 photos
No friends yet.
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
- 5th Avenue- 12 Reviews, 32 Photos
- Beaches- 19 Reviews, 38 Photos
- Xel-Ha- 11 Reviews, 39 Photos
- Day Trips- 13 Reviews, 33 Photos
- Snorkeling- 12 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Ferry to Cozumel- 8 Reviews, 9 Photos
- Xcaret- 13 Reviews, 20 Photos
- Cozumel- 12 Reviews, 17 Photos
- Swim with Dolphins- 8 Reviews, 16 Photos
- Cenotes- 8 Reviews, 9 Photos
See All Playa del Carmen Things to Do