"Bali Hi!" Ubud by Ramonq
Ubud Travel Guide: 523 reviews and 1,355 photos
click: Balinese music
The Ubud region is known as the cultural centre of Bali. While most tourists go to Bali for the sun and sea in the commercial towns of Kuta, Sanur and Nusa Dua, many Balinese people, especially the Ubud citizens, say that these areas do not represent the traditional Bali at all. Although I found the main town of Ubud to be quite touristy, many rural villages that dot the Ubud area still play the traditional rhythms of Balinese soul. Just a few kilometers away from the Ubud town centre, I saw a lifestyle that hasn't changed much despite the onslaught of the tourism juggernaut. Rice fields, cockfights, offerings, public bathing, rituals and ceremonies that aren't for display to tourists like me.
Ubud is where the modern Balinese arts flourished. Much of the legendary Balinese artworks and style germinate from around this area. The main town has a large range of galleries that display the intricacies of Balinese culture. The best in Balinese paintings, sculptures, dances, textiles, and architecture are all here, whether its traditional or modern. The town in focused on making money from the arts. So don't expect loud nightclubs and bars in Ubud. The towns people would rather keep a low profile.
- Pros:Balinese culture
- Cons:hot and sticky
- In a nutshell:A great introduction to Balinese culture
Ubud is away from the noise of Kuta, and it's a fantastic base to explore traditional Balinese lifestyle. The villages... more travel advice
Along the main drag of Ubud on the way to the Monkey Forest, there are rows of shop that mainly cater to tourists. Lots... more travel advice
Ramonq's Related Pages
Ubud Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ubud - Center of Arts"
- "heart of art and culture in bali ...."
- "Soothing the spirit"
- "Ubud - felt like stepping to an ancient city"
- "Ubud - so much to offer"
- "My Ubud"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ubud
- Hotels in Ubud
- Transportation in Ubud
- Nightlife in Ubud
- Restaurants in Ubud
- Shopping in Ubud
- Warnings and Dangers in Ubud
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ubud
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (7)
Have you been to Ubud?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ubud
Photos in UbudSee All Photos (9)
Top 10 Pages
- Sydney Intro, 32 reviews, 14 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Port Moresby Intro, 18 reviews, 22 photos
- Manila Intro, 15 reviews, 16 photos
- Singapore Intro, 13 reviews, 10 photos
- Boracay Island Intro, 7 reviews, 15 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Luanda Intro, 17 reviews, 4 photos
- Adelaide Intro, 14 reviews, 6 photos
- Bali Intro, 8 reviews, 11 photos
- Canberra Intro, 12 reviews, 7 photos
- Rome Intro, 4 reviews, 14 photos
No friends yet.