"ExGuyParis's new Saranac Lake Page" Top 5 Page for this destination Saranac Lake by ExGuyParis
Saranac Lake Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 46 photos
Many people who think of "New York" only imagine New York City, but New York State is also the home of an incredible park with 3000 lakes and ponds, 2000 miles of hiking trails, and some of the most beautiful mountains in the world. This 6 million acre treasure is called The Adirondack Park. Of the 6 million acres, about 2.5 million acres are public lands, owned by the state of New York. The remaining land is privately owned, and includes a number of interesting towns and villages. Aproximately 130,000 people live in the towns and villages that fall within the Park's boundaries. The towns include Lake Placid, home of the 1980 Winter Olympics, and Saranac Lake, which this VT page will feature.
The Adirondack Park was established by the New York State Legislature in 1892. The Constitution of New York State decrees that the public land in the Adirondack Park can never be developed and that they "shall be forever kept as wild forest lands."
Accommodations in the park range from simple camping to the most luxorious resorts you can imagine. There are over 100 campgrounds (both state and privately managed). Check my tips for information about a range of accommodations.
Saranac Lake holds a major place in my heart and soul; it is one of the most beautiful places on this earth. My grandmother had a summer house on Upper Saranac, and while growing up, I spent part of every summer there. I have dozens of cousins in Tupper Lake, Lake Clear, Saranac Lake, and Lake Placid-- they educated me in the wonders of the Adirondacks. For a few years I had the luxury of staying in Saranac Lake for the entire summer. After many years away, I returned in July 2004.
If you enjoy the mountains, lakes, hiking, canoeing, fishing, you will be in your glory in the Adirondacks.
And if you enjoy winter sports, this region offers a multitude of options.
For general information about the Adirondacks, visit this website
For the official Saranac Lake web site, go here
My grandmother and her twin sister at Saranac Lake, a long, long time ago (probably about 1920). One winter she was driving her car across the lake (then a fairly typical practice, as it is very cold in the winter and the ice is quite thick; as I type this on January 16, 2004, it is minus 22 centigrade/minus 7 Farenheit there). The ice broke and the car plunged into the water. I am very grateful she escape safely; otherwise I wouldn't be here typing this!
Wealthy New Yorkers built beautiful summer "camps" in the Adirondacks. These were summer homes, often mansion-sized, built in a rustic Adirondack style. Some survive to this day; for example, The Point, an exclusive hotel I describe under accommodations, was a Rockefeller Camp.
My great-grandfather was a caretaker at the Agar Camp. My grandmother used to speak of the beautiful grounds and buildings. The owners came for a few weeks each summer, and the rest of the year it was "home" for my grandmother and her family.
- In a nutshell:As my grandmother always said: "god's country"
This is me, working up the courage to jump at the Gulch. I am fortunate to have dozens of cousings who live in the... more travel advice
A beautiful, unspoiled lake that offers wonderful boating. This summer, we stayed in a small cabin right on the lake. My... more travel advice
ExGuyParis' Related Pages
Saranac Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "ExGuyParis's new Saranac Lake Page"
- "NBouvier's new Saranac Lake Page"
- "Saranac Lake.... one of the NY pearls"
- "Welcome home to Saranac Lake"
- "Sir_Tar's new Saranac Lake Page"
- "Saranac Lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Saranac Lake
- Hotels in Saranac Lake
- Nightlife in Saranac Lake
- Restaurants in Saranac Lake
- Warnings and Dangers in Saranac Lake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saranac Lake
- 24 Reviews
- 31 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Saranac Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saranac Lake
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 90 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Villanova Intro, 37 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saranac Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chapet Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Prague Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provins Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bayeux Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Cherry Hill Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue