"Once upon a time..." Cherry Hill by ExGuyParis
Cherry Hill Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 30 photos
I spent my high school daze in Cherry Hill, NJ-- Cherry Hill High School (West. The "west" was added my first year there.) The town, originally called Delaware Township, named itself after the incredibly popular shopping mall that attracted bus tours from as far away as New York. Most malls have been named after a town they are in, but in Cherry Hill, the town was named after the mall! Somehow fitting.
So many memories! Ponzio's, Gino's, Garwood Mills, the junior prom at the Cherry Hill Mall, the CHHSW musicals. "Lions Shine in '69" (Nothing sexual in this-- we were the Class of 1969-- but we got a lot of laughs out of our motto.)
Fondest memories: seeing the shows at the Latin Casino: Donna Summer, The Temptations, the Pointer Sisters, and, many times, The Supremes.
The Latin Casino is gone, replaced with a building that houses a Subaru office. What a tragedy. Other Cherry Hill losses-- Richmond's Ice Cream. I was horrified a few weeks ago when we drove to Richmond's to have lunch and discovered it was torn down. Also gone-- Chapel Pharmacy, a place I worked for several summers. Displaced, I suspect, by a CVS (a cold, soulless chain of pharmacies). Yuck. The Cherry Hill Inn is gone. The Hawaiian Cottage, a restaurant/nightclub with a gift shop shaped like a giant pineapple--gone.
Cherry Hill High School (West) was the home of thousands of baby boomers... close to 1000 in the class of 1969. Cherry Hill grew so fast a second high school was built--Cherry Hill East; its first class would graduate in 1970
Memories: sock hops in the gym, air raid drills, flower power, "Who is your favorite Beatle?," seeing Cream, Martha & the Vandellas, and Richard Chamberlain in West Side Story at the Camden County Music Fair.
There are no real hills in Cherry Hill, and not too many cherry trees. Here is one they stuck in front of Cherry Hill High School West.
- Pros:Baby boom suburban paradise
- Cons:You can only take so many strip malls
Gone, but not forgotten... The Geisha Room at the Hawaiian Cottage! 1960's Suburban Chic more travel advice
Dining at Woolworth's Cherry Hill Grill on the mall at Cherry Hill. more travel advice
ExGuyParis' Related Pages
Cherry Hill Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Once upon a time..."
- "CHERRY HILL-SOUTH JERSEY'S GATEWAY TO PHILA."
- "Thalor's new Cherry Hill Page"
- "Loonbeam's Base Camp"
- "Crossing the State Line into New Jersey"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cherry Hill
- Hotels in Cherry Hill
- Transportation in Cherry Hill
- Nightlife in Cherry Hill
- Restaurants in Cherry Hill
- Shopping in Cherry Hill
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Cherry Hill
- 11 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 17 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (11)
Have you been to Cherry Hill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cherry Hill
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 90 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Villanova Intro, 37 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saranac Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chapet Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Prague Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provins Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bayeux Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Cherry Hill Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue
FriendsSee All Friends (56)
Latest Cherry Hill hotel reviews
- Extendedstay Cherry Hill (1647 E State Hwy 70 )
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 9, 2013
- Americas Best Value Inn
- 28 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 28, 2013
- Clarion Hotel And Conference Center
- 54 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jun 8, 2012
- Residence Inn By Marriott Philadelphia Cherry Hill
- 78 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Crowne Plaza Hotel Philadelphia-Cherry Hill
- 183 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 7, 2013