"Once upon a time..." Cherry Hill by ExGuyParis

Cherry Hill Travel Guide: 16 reviews and 30 photos

They Paved Paradise

I spent my high school daze in Cherry Hill, NJ-- Cherry Hill High School (West. The "west" was added my first year there.) The town, originally called Delaware Township, named itself after the incredibly popular shopping mall that attracted bus tours from as far away as New York. Most malls have been named after a town they are in, but in Cherry Hill, the town was named after the mall! Somehow fitting.

So many memories! Ponzio's, Gino's, Garwood Mills, the junior prom at the Cherry Hill Mall, the CHHSW musicals. "Lions Shine in '69" (Nothing sexual in this-- we were the Class of 1969-- but we got a lot of laughs out of our motto.)

Fondest memories: seeing the shows at the Latin Casino: Donna Summer, The Temptations, the Pointer Sisters, and, many times, The Supremes.

The Latin Casino is gone, replaced with a building that houses a Subaru office. What a tragedy. Other Cherry Hill losses-- Richmond's Ice Cream. I was horrified a few weeks ago when we drove to Richmond's to have lunch and discovered it was torn down. Also gone-- Chapel Pharmacy, a place I worked for several summers. Displaced, I suspect, by a CVS (a cold, soulless chain of pharmacies). Yuck. The Cherry Hill Inn is gone. The Hawaiian Cottage, a restaurant/nightclub with a gift shop shaped like a giant pineapple--gone.

High Upon Old Chapel Hill

Cherry Hill High School (West) was the home of thousands of baby boomers... close to 1000 in the class of 1969. Cherry Hill grew so fast a second high school was built--Cherry Hill East; its first class would graduate in 1970

Memories: sock hops in the gym, air raid drills, flower power, "Who is your favorite Beatle?," seeing Cream, Martha & the Vandellas, and Richard Chamberlain in West Side Story at the Camden County Music Fair.

Cherry Hill?

There are no real hills in Cherry Hill, and not too many cherry trees. Here is one they stuck in front of Cherry Hill High School West.

• Pros:Baby boom suburban paradise
  • Cons:You can only take so many strip malls
  • Last visit to Cherry Hill: Aug 2002
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2005

• Aug 15, 2009 at 8:09 PM

I need some help I want to know the name of the restaraunt down the road across the street from Cinelli's. It was right across the street from the Gaden State racetrack stables.

• Sep 7, 2007 at 9:18 AM

The Hawaiian Cottage burned down sometime around '75. I was pretty young and I mostly remember seeing the charred remains. I think Richmond's closed in the 90s. Very sad about that. Nobody makes Dusty Road Sundaes as well as Richmond's.

• Mar 29, 2007 at 4:24 PM

The photo of the Supremes with Cindy passing as Flo brought back memories of being at the concert in AC as a child. Do you have anymore pictures or a large one of this posted. Thank You, Jerry

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2006 at 9:15 AM

This is the only VT page I have encountered so far that has a 1960s parking lot as the lead photo. Seems to be a totally appropriate choice, LOL.

• pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo
    Oct 15, 2005 at 5:42 AM

I have updated my Amsterdam record store tips. It's a contineous thing! Glad you enjoyed it!. BTW I've added more pictures/tips to my Amsterdam page as well. PJ

• Jul 14, 2005 at 5:00 PM

it's amazing what pages you can find here on vt. I know someone who grew up here. They weren't too keen on this place. Nice pics from your childhood!

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2005 at 3:02 AM

Wow, Paul. I remember The Latin Casino and of course THE MALL. Cherry Hill was a place we made a trip to, there seemed so much to do there to us. Ponzio's was great and believe it or not, I saw the Temptations at the Steel Pier. It was my first concert.

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2005 at 6:22 AM

Just saw your "Supremes" on front page of VT....sorry you couldn't enjoy....

• craic's Profile Photo
    Apr 11, 2004 at 11:12 AM

Fascinating page. From Cherry Hill to Chapet.

• Aug 6, 2003 at 1:30 AM

I once broke down in Cherry Hill, & had one heck of a time trying to find someone who could fix a Ford Festiva.

ExGuyParis

“Roam where you wnat to, roam around the world...”

Badges & Stats in Cherry Hill

Have you been to Cherry Hill?

Latest Activity in Cherry Hill