"Bayeux: City of Conquest" Top 5 Page for this destination Bayeux by ExGuyParis
Bayeux Travel Guide: 195 reviews and 580 photos
Bayeux, a medieval town in Normandy, is most famous for The Bayeux Tapestry, a remarkable record of William the Conquerer's conquests in the 11th Century.
The town itself is charming, with its medieval center quite well-preserved. The cathedral is impressive, with its requisite gargoyles and an atmospheric crypt.
Bayeux also serves as an ideal lodging for visiting the many sites realted to World War II, including the American Cemetery near Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer (one of the most moving places I have ever visited).
Bayeux is about 250 km northeast of Paris. It is a very easy drive on the highway A13.
One of the surprises to be discovered inside the cathedral-- this very happy saint, standing in the stars.
is not a tapestry! It would be very strange to hear it called "The Bayeux Needlepoint," but that is what is is. At any rate, this piece of cloth, over 900 years old, tells the story of William's conquest of England in 1066.
I really was fascinated by the legends (based on facts) documented here, and the glimpse into the life and battles of that era.
This piece of the tapestry shows Harold swearing fealty to William-- shallow words, as later history would prove. This oath took place in the Bayeux Cathedral.
The tapestry, with its 57 other scenes, can be found in the Centre de Guillaume le Conquérant (the William the Conqueror Center) in Bayeux. It is well worth the trip.
- In a nutshell:Monumental Moments in History
The Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial is located on the coast about 18 km northwest Bayeux, overloking Omaha... more travel advice
Not really a restaurant, but a place to buy superb French pastry. This boulangerie has the best gland I have ever... more travel advice
ExGuyParis' Related Pages
Bayeux Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The wonderful town of Bayeux"
- "BAYEUX, still a medieval city"
- "Bayeux: City of Conquest"
- "BAYEUX AND NORMANDY"
- "Untouched in the Eye of the Storm"
- "The town of Reine Mathilde"
- "My Trip to the Beaches"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bayeux
- Hotels in Bayeux
- Transportation in Bayeux
- Nightlife in Bayeux
- Restaurants in Bayeux
- Shopping in Bayeux
- Warnings and Dangers in Bayeux
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bayeux
- 13 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 12 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Bayeux?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bayeux
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 90 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Villanova Intro, 37 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saranac Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chapet Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Prague Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provins Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bayeux Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Cherry Hill Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue