"A Passion for Paris" Paris by ExGuyParis

Paris Travel Guide: 22,791 reviews and 56,488 photos

The Glories of Paris

In many ways and on many levels, Paris is the most glorious city in the world. The city of light-- the city of love-- the city of food, the arts, and of "savoir-vivre." Remarkably safe (safer by far than just about any city in the US), saturated with beauty, abundant with culture of all modes and for all proclivities... to me, this is heaven on earth. Each day of living here is filled with new wonders.

Paris is a city made for wandering. Of course there are the famous monuments, museums, and tourist attractions, but the true joy in Paris can be found by wandering the various neighborhoods, hidden gardens, and the "off the beaten path" wonders. You will always find a surprise.

It is no wonder that so many people fall in love with this place, or in this place.

I have lived in Paris twice, for a total of eight years. I've been back in the US now for two years, and I hope that someday my heart will stop aching for Paris!

I worked in the heart of the city, and each day at lunch I spent time wandering and finding some new wonder.

J'ai deux amours-- mon pays et Paris: "I have two loves-- my country and Paris." This line is from a song Josephine Baker made popular a long time ago (recently resuscitated by Madeleine Peyroux), and it certainly hold true for me!

And furthermore...

Every time I look down on this timeless town
whether blue or gray be her skies.
Whether loud be her cheers or soft be her tears,
more and more do I realize:

I love Paris in the springtime.
I love Paris in the fall.
I love Paris in the winter when it drizzles,
I love Paris in the summer when it sizzles.

I love Paris every moment,
every moment of the year.
I love Paris, why, oh why do I love Paris?
Because my love is near.

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Cole !

It has been a painful departure.

In the Winter, When It Drizzles

My Friend Art and I spent a snowy winter day exploring the wintery wonders of the city. He snapped this shot from the rooftop terrace of Galeries Lafayette on Blvd. Haussmann. The city is typically quite cloudy in winter; the sun is a rare treat. The days are short.

This is compensated by the very long periods of daylight in the summer!

• Pros:The greatest city in the world
  • Cons:Les Bouchons (see local customs)
  • In a nutshell:J'adore Paris; Paris me manque beaucoup! (I miss Paris very much)
  • Last visit to Paris: Dec 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 4, 2010

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2010 at 9:52 AM

Good page. I hope to visit Paris next year. Ciao!

• Sep 18, 2009 at 10:53 AM

I am planning my first trip to Paris in October and you provided great information. I will be looking for the "N"s in the Louvre. Thanks

• Feb 15, 2009 at 9:36 AM

so sad to hear of this. I was making a list of cheese restaurants for two friends who have 2 days in Paris. What happened to Androuet on rue d'Amsterdam? I only saw shops on the website. Not another loss?

• vinc_bilb's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2008 at 1:44 AM

Hum, I'm wondering if you are not a little French, from soul perspective! Anyway, thanks for your great, excellent pages, avoiding the usual stereotypes. I learned a lot!

• mircaskirca's Profile Photo
    Jul 1, 2008 at 2:02 PM

Great music info Paul! Although I did not understand the lyrics, my favourite Liane Foly's was Laisse PleurerLes Nauges. I tuned to FM 105.1 and to my pleasant surprise, there was a Madredeus song playing, one of my beloved Portuguese music :)

• Apr 22, 2008 at 10:28 AM

I just read an article saying that Starbucks is losing money; stock price has been dropping and retail sales are down. I too am disgusted by the thought of Starbucks and Mcdonalds and Burger Kings in Paris, even though I have yet to visit France.

• mallyak's Profile Photo
    Mar 25, 2008 at 2:00 PM

Great pages on a great city...we will be in paris and July..and this is an excellent preview!

• Herkbert's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2007 at 8:15 PM

Hi Paul.. Just had to say thanks for your tip on La Fermette Marbeuf. After seeing your tip and pics we had to go, and it was one of the highlights of our trip. Simply beautiful, plus great atmosphere and food. Thanks.. Tom

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2007 at 6:16 AM

Hi Paul, just checking back to have a look at the interesting updates that you have added in the last 1 1/2 years. I have just saved your Bel Canto tip to my Paris travel guide.

• pedroswift's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2007 at 4:59 AM

Thanks for Paris & Provins tips Paul. Have your restaurant tips in my guide. Also been listening to Medelaine thanks to you.merci de Peter

ExGuyParis Used To Live Here!

ExGuyParis

“Roam where you wnat to, roam around the world...”

Badges & Stats in Paris