"Provins: The Past Lives" Top 5 Page for this destination Provins by ExGuyParis
Provins Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 207 photos
Provins was a major European trade center in the 12th and 13th centuries. At the “Champagne fairs, “ merchants from across the continent would offer a variety of goods. Today, Provins retains much of its medieval charm; many consider it the best-preserved medieval town. The walled city is incredible; you feel like you have stepped back in time. Cars are not permitted in the walled area during the day, which makes it nice for strolling. There is an interesting museum, inexpensive dining, the imposing Caesar’s Tower. The Tithe Barn (La Grânge aux Dimes), which is an impressive gothic structure, offers the history of the Champagne Fairs through wax figures and reconstructions of the crafts and wares of the era. There are several shows—one featuring falconry, one jousting, and another demonstrating medieval weapons. The walls are well preserved, and offer beautiful views as you stroll around the town. There are underground caverns (quarries) to tour. There is a church where Joan of Arc attended mass.
You will find interesting shops featuring tile, honey, regional products. I love the honey shop ("La ronde des abeilles" at 3 rue des Beaux Arts). I’ve gone back twice to buy more of their wonderful soaps with herbs and lavender seeds.
At the creperie by the main square, be sure to sample the rose ice cream and/or crepes, a specialty of the region. There is also a rather delicious spiced wine.
Provins is a great place to spend a day. It is just 56 miles (91 km) from Paris. There is ample parking outside the walls. You can also take a train from Gare de l'Est. At the visitor center you can buy assorted passes to see the monuments and/or shows.
Provins is a great town for strolling... not too big. There are enough interesting things to spend a full day exploring.
The Porte St. Jean welcomes you to the walled part of Provins.
- In a nutshell:Medieval Magic
One of the beautiful homes of Provins. This one is just off the main square. more travel advice
A quiet place in front of Saint Quiriace church offers a bit of shade and a place to rest. more travel advice
ExGuyParis' Related Pages
Provins Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Provins: The Past Lives"
- "Take a break from Paris"
- "Explore the Middle Ages.."
- "A romantic medieval village near Paris"
- "One -day trip"
- "The time machine"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Provins
- Hotels in Provins
- Transportation in Provins
- Restaurants in Provins
- Shopping in Provins
- Warnings and Dangers in Provins
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Provins
- 17 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 48 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Provins?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Provins
Photos in ProvinsSee All Photos (21)
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 90 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Villanova Intro, 37 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saranac Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chapet Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Prague Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provins Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bayeux Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Cherry Hill Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue