"The Cult of Saint Anne" Top 5 Page for this destination Quimper by ExGuyParis

Quimper Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 222 photos

Saint-Anne d'Auray

In the garden of the Basilica of Saint Anne d'Auray. This shrine, dedicated to the mother of Mary, has been a site for pilgrimages for hundreds of years. The town of Saint Anne d'Auray is near Quimper in Brittany.

I am what my grandmother called a "lapsed Catholic"-- brought up in the Catholic church, but I stopped participating 30 years ago. Despite this, I still love visiting places like this. There is an aura, a mystery, and a power here.

Perfect Acoustics

The lower part of this chapel has the most amazing acoustics I have ever experienced. If you sing a tone, it hangs in the air for many seconds. I was able to sing something in four-part harmony, all by myself! I was really wishing that some of my singing friends were with me, so we could have performed a liturgical piece or two. It would have been heavenly.

Quimper As Camp

Quimper is a perfect "base camp" for discovering Brittany (Bretagne). There are countless villages and towns to explore, beautiful ports and beaches, outstanding regional cuisine... it is a delightful part of France! (See also my Plogoff/Point du Raz page and Vannes page).

• Intro Updated Mar 22, 2004

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2012 at 6:22 AM

I'm back to review once more. Still getting acquainted w/ changes to VT, but hopefully I've found all there is to offer re: Quimper now. I'll be delighted to create my own page after seeing this picturesque town.

• Apr 14, 2009 at 6:56 AM

The museum is closed -- apparently approx. 2007. We were told it was privately run and ran out of funds.

• Jeannette1's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2005 at 9:14 AM

Great page on one of my favorite cities in Brittany. I love the faience but too many cheap imitations :-(

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2004 at 3:08 AM

Brittany and the region around Quimper is a really beautiful part of France!

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2003 at 1:49 PM

Interesting page on an "almost been there" destination!

• Geisha_Girl's Profile Photo
    Apr 3, 2003 at 7:49 PM

One of my favorite areas of France has always been the Bretagne region. I wish I could spend more time there. Your portrait, once again, is quite lovely! (I'm sure not as lovely as your a capella singing voice, though, Paul!)

• jide08's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2003 at 4:01 AM

Very good page but I find it funny your photos don't have any lbue sky at all. And with all the Bretons trying to convince us it's always sunny over there ;)

• Mar 23, 2003 at 5:17 AM

Always the art lover... Interesting comment about gothic. When they teach us in school that gothic is britght compared to romanic we tend to think it is because of the light filtering through the vitrals. I knew it was not.

• Drphoto's Profile Photo
    Mar 14, 2003 at 3:43 AM

It is a pleasure reading your pages. Photos are great too !

• prleprle's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2003 at 7:11 AM

Very interesting place!!! Well done!

ExGuyParis

“Roam where you wnat to, roam around the world...”

Badges & Stats in Quimper

Have you been to Quimper?

Latest Activity in Quimper