"Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial" Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer by ExGuyParis
Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 84 photos
The Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial is located in Colleville-sur-Mere, about 18 km northwest of Bayeux and just east of Saint-Laurent-sur-Mere. It is the resting place of 9,387 Americans killed in the D-Day invasion of Normandy which began on June 6, 1944.
This 173 acre cemetery was given to the US by France for permanent use, free of charge or taxation.
It is a paradoxical place; incredibly beautiful and peaceful, yet a chilling reminder of the horrors and violence of war. As you walk by the crosses and Stars of David, and look at the names inscribed on each, you realize that each is a marker of a shattered life, of a distressed family, of an opportunity lost.
The cemetery is open from April 16 to September 30, 8h00 to 18h00 daily. In the winter (October 1 through April 15), the hours are 8h00 to 17h00 daily.
Winter roses grace the graves. It was an an incredibly chilly day, and it had rained earlier in the morning... but the sun burst throught the clouds and illuminated a brilliant winter day.
This Memorial hosts the bronze statue "The Spirit of American Youth Rising From the Waves," sculpted by Donald De Lue (an American from New Jersey). On the two side walls, mosaic battle plans illustrate the scope of the Normandy invasion. Behind the Memorial, you can visit "The Garden of the Missing." Here are engraved the names of 1,557 additional military personnel whose remains were never recovered or positively identified.
As you stand at the memorial, you look out across the graveyard, and the scope of the casualty of war hits you hard.... more travel advice
As you enter the cemetery, approaching the beach, you will see the memorial and its reflecting pool. The memorial houses... more travel advice
ExGuyParis' Related Pages
Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Normandy American Cemetery and Memorial"
- "Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer -- Omaha Beach"
- "The Spirit of American Youth"
- "Lest we forget"
- "OMAHA BEACH"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer
- 8 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 13 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer
- Posted in Travel Paris Forum "RE: RE: Seduction of Paris"
- Commented on one of warney's Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer travel pages
- updated a Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Travelogue "Where Have All the Soldiers Gone?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Where Have All the Soldiers Gone?"
- Wrote a Review Viewing the Dead in Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Things to Do
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 90 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Villanova Intro, 37 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saranac Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chapet Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Prague Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provins Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bayeux Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Cherry Hill Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue