"Vannes: Ancient Brittany" Top 5 Page for this destination Vannes by ExGuyParis
Vannes Travel Guide: 158 reviews and 491 photos
Vannes was the capital town of the Dukes of Brittany (Bretagne). A walled town, a port, it today retains much of its ancient charm.
Sections of the wall date from the third century-- the Gallo-Roman era. "Newer" segments were built in the 1400's. The wall features impressive towers and gates into the city.
Inside the walls you will find many (more than 170) cross-timber houses-- maisons à pans de bois-- some from the 15th century.
Vannes is the perfect place for aimless wandering. You will constantly find things that delight the eyes and the spirit.
The French word for ramparts = remparts.
- Pros:Breathtaking Beauty
The beauty of Vannes is astonishing; it is a bit like Disneyland, but real. The plantings are breathtaking, the old... more travel advice
This couple, carved in granite, adorn a house built around 1500. Nobody knows who they were, or why they are there. One... more travel advice
ExGuyParis' Related Pages
Vannes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Gateway to the Gulf of Morbihan"
- "Vannes: Ancient Brittany"
- "A taste of holidays"
- "This is not my car"
- "Walled Vannes"
- "Beautiful Vannes"
- "Vannes in Morbihan"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vannes
- Hotels in Vannes
- Transportation in Vannes
- Nightlife in Vannes
- Restaurants in Vannes
- Shopping in Vannes
- Warnings and Dangers in Vannes
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Vannes
- 6 Reviews
- 9 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 18 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (13)
Have you been to Vannes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vannes
Top 10 Pages
- Paris Intro, 90 reviews, 125 photos, 4 travelogues
- Villanova Intro, 37 reviews, 50 photos, 1 travelogue
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saranac Lake Intro, 24 reviews, 31 photos, 1 travelogue
- Chapet Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Florence Intro, 23 reviews, 26 photos
- Prague Intro, 18 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Provins Intro, 17 reviews, 21 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Saint-Laurent-sur-Mer Intro, 8 reviews, 22 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Bayeux Intro, 13 reviews, 16 photos
- Cherry Hill Intro, 11 reviews, 16 photos, 1 travelogue