"Center of Southern Estonia" Voru by AgentJX
Voru Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 4 photos
Võru which is the administrative center for the Võrumaa district of Estonia is another example of Estonia?s small town charm. Located in beautiful southern Estonia, Võru is the starting point for many outdoor adventures with more than its fair share of bike and outdoor equipment shops. However, it is also the cultural center of Southern Estonia. Friedrich Kreutzwald, author of the Estonian epic Kalevipoeg lived and worked in Võru. Since the town attempts to focus on the culture of Southern Estonia there is a wide range of cultural activities and centers.
Võru is home to one of the many folklore festivals that can be found throughout Estonia during the summer months. I happened to visit on a rainy day, but the atmosphere could not be spoiled by the dreary weather. Folk singers and dancers from all over come to perform at the festival along with a wide selection of local Estonian groups. My visit was highlighted by a folk group from Turkey and one from Serbia, both of which put on a fantastic show. The folklore festival also includes a craft fair and ethnic dinners that change on each day of the fair. If you happen to be in Estonia in early July, I would recommend checking up on the dates of the folklore festival.
Bus and car are the best ways to get to Voru and they are also the best ways to see the countryside surrounding the... more travel advice
I have been in the region of Võrumaa on several occasions and while I have enjoyed the towns that I have visited, the... more travel advice
AgentJX's Related Pages
Voru Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Center of Southern Estonia"
- "A Great Walk Around the Lake"
- "Võru - the gateway to Võrumaa"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Voru
- 5 Reviews
- 0 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (5)
Have you been to Voru?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Voru
Top 10 Pages
- Florence Intro, 28 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Italy Intro, 15 reviews, 33 photos, 3 travelogues
- Venice Intro, 19 reviews, 20 photos
- Milan Intro, 19 reviews, 12 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Tacoma Intro, 12 reviews, 11 photos, 1 travelogue
- Tartu Intro, 15 reviews, 4 photos
- Franktown Intro, 4 reviews, 15 photos, 2 travelogues
- Goleta Intro, 2 reviews, 16 photos, 2 travelogues
- Seattle Intro, 3 reviews, 13 photos, 1 travelogue
- Verona Intro, 10 reviews, 6 photos