"Lead SD-Former Home of Homestake Gold Mine" Lead by BLSM
Lead Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 5 photos
The town of Lead is perched on the side of several hills. Every thing is up and down. It was a booming town until the Homestake mine closed in 2002. The mine is in the middle of town. It is still under discussion on what to do with the big hole in the ground. Several are trying to have it made a federal experimental labratory beacause it is temperature controled and under ground. Federal law says they have to fill it in if another use is not found. It has turned into a government thing.
The road from Sturgis to Deadwood and Lead goes through the Black Hills National Forest. It is miles and miles of... more travel advice
BLSM's Related Pages
Lead Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lead SD-Former Home of Homestake Gold Mine"
- "Lead " your best bet outside of Deadwood""
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lead
- 2 Reviews
- 3 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Lead?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lead
Top 10 Pages
- Faulkton Intro, 19 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mitchell Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- South Dakota Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 4 travelogues
- Minneapolis Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aberdeen Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 3 travelogues
- Heidelberg Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Badlands National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Watertown Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
No friends yet.