"Deadwood -Gambling & History" Top 5 Page for this destination Deadwood by BLSM
Deadwood Travel Guide: 73 reviews and 122 photos
Deadwood South Dakota in the 1980's wanted to become a tourist mecca so they brought in gambling. They wanted to really draw people so they asked for a $100 bet top limit instead of a $5 limit like every where else. This had to be voted on by the people of South Dakota. They did approve it but a large percentage of the profit goes to the South Dakota Department of Tourism. The state took away their state funding and told them that they had to work with the only the gambling money. Now they get more money than they ever did with state funding. So now Deadwood has returned to its orgin when it was a base for gold miners.
- In a nutshell:Slot Machines and restored Buildings
This is on the road between Sturgis & Deadwood. It is part of the Black Hills National Forest. This is a very windy... more travel advice
In 2002 Deadwood was evacuated because of a forest fire that burned many thousands of acres. They stopped the fire... more travel advice
BLSM's Related Pages
Deadwood Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Step Back Into History in Deadwood, South Dakota"
- "Deadwood -Gambling & History"
- "The Old West Meets the New Economy"
- "Bad boy town of the west"
- "Deadwood South Dakota - Thar's GOOOOLD in them tha"
- "A visit to Deadwood"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Deadwood
- Hotels in Deadwood
- Transportation in Deadwood
- Nightlife in Deadwood
- Restaurants in Deadwood
- Warnings and Dangers in Deadwood
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Deadwood
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (25)
Have you been to Deadwood?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Deadwood
Photos in DeadwoodSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Faulkton Intro, 19 reviews, 47 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mitchell Intro, 9 reviews, 20 photos, 3 travelogues
- South Dakota Intro, 8 reviews, 18 photos, 4 travelogues
- Minneapolis Intro, 11 reviews, 14 photos, 1 travelogue
- Rothenburg ob der Tauber Intro, 6 reviews, 18 photos, 2 travelogues
- Aberdeen Intro, 9 reviews, 15 photos, 3 travelogues
- Heidelberg Intro, 4 reviews, 19 photos, 2 travelogues
- Badlands National Park Intro, 4 reviews, 11 photos, 2 travelogues
- Morocco Intro, 1 review, 13 photos, 2 travelogues
- Watertown Intro, 7 reviews, 7 photos
No friends yet.