"Chongqing" Top 5 Page for this destination Chongqing by herzog63

Chongqing Travel Guide: 231 reviews and 772 photos

The Hilly City

Chongqing is different than other cities in China that I visited....No Bicycles! I hardly saw any here and the reason is that the city is built on a series of hills that are fairly steep. You will get a work out as you wander around the city! There is cool walk to do that takes you seemingly right through peoples houses. It is on the side of the peninsula that over looks the Yangtze River. A first impression gives it a run down look but I had a blast exploring this area and the people were very friendly too! It made me feel like I was walking around China in the 1800's! WARNING!! As with all of my other China pages be warned that these tips and stories are all based on my 1987 trip so for sure prices have changed and hotels or restaurants won't/might not be there anymore!!

• Pros:Great City to explore
  • Cons:Can't think of any....
  • In a nutshell:Lot's of hills
  • Last visit to Chongqing: Feb 1987
  • Intro Updated Oct 11, 2003

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2015 at 12:56 PM

I read a book and this city was discussed to highlight the smog/fog and huge growth. Good job of pics and comments here.

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Sep 6, 2015 at 12:56 PM

• angiebabe's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2010 at 5:51 AM

loved my2days in Chongqing before 3 day local boat down the Yangtze river (that was meant to have 2 or 3 classes but in fact only 1!didnt leave at 5pm but 11pm and stopped to pick up chickens and planks and all sorts all the way along!great tho!)

• epicult's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2004 at 6:51 AM

I've just read the accomodation tip again (was featured on the front page). Funny stuff. The photo really makes me want to experience this place. It's got all the qualities of a place that is oozing with adventure.

• we2364's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2004 at 3:40 AM

Pity I was only 11 when you travelled to Chongqing. The city has been changed a lot, in a tremendous way as I see from the TV, still haven't been there;) But will explore it one day!

• urban4est's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2004 at 1:31 PM

i too find the little street shops helpful and always interesting. I flew into Wuhan. Later friends drove me 3 hours from Ezhou to Yichang to get the ship to Chongqing. Wonderful places, wonderful people.

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2004 at 8:03 PM

What a fascinating page. Lovely images.

• alza's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2004 at 11:52 AM

hi! just got pics from Chongqing, one a big bronze statue of 2 very hip girls. Looking more modern every day... Would love to go! Tks :-)

• Canadienne's Profile Photo
    Oct 24, 2003 at 4:55 AM

That stop-off in Wanxian sounds wonderful ~ a fantastic experience (. . .good thing you made it back to the boat in time)! Great tips and gorgeous photos! I wonder if that point-and-order technique would work in any restaurants here. . . ;-)

• Phalaenopsis03's Profile Photo
    Oct 18, 2003 at 2:38 AM

wow, a personal chef, cool! and re: your yangtze story, i guess the tip here is not to get too drunk or you might just miss the boat. =)

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Chongqing

Have you been to Chongqing?

Latest Activity in Chongqing