"Guangzhou - From back in the day....." Top 5 Page for this destination Guangzhou by herzog63

Guangzhou Travel Guide: 978 reviews and 2,330 photos

The introduction to China

After spending several months in the Philippines I decided to check out something a little different. China sounded very interesting as I had met several travelers that had just come out of China....At the time it seemed like things were opening up. Back then there were only select cities that could be visited without a special "Travel Permit" This is all but history now I believe. Guangzhou was my first city to visit in China and it opened my eyes to the wonderful people,sights and tastes that China had to offer!! Sadly I didn't take very many photos here....
WARNING!! As with all of my other China pages all of the stories , tips etc...are all based off my trip of 1987 so all prices quoted and places that I stayed at or ate at or visited Could/Will be different. I just want to share them with you as I believe China is a destination for everyone!!

• Pros:Close to Hong Kong, Great Attractions , Yummy Food!
  • In a nutshell:Hope you can go!!
  • Last visit to Guangzhou: Feb 1987
  • Intro Written Oct 13, 2003

• cal6060's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2011 at 6:58 AM

Even though your 1987's tips are not up todate, but I think they are amazing to read cause I did not visit China in th 80'. It gave me an idea how much different it is compare to now.. Thank you::))

• May 25, 2008 at 11:00 AM

GJ with your GZ page. You made a good attempt at the chinese numbers, but here are some corrections in pronunciation: 3) San (short "A") 4)Si (short "I") 5) Wu 6)Liu 7)Tsee 8)Bah 10) She (short "E")

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Aug 22, 2006 at 11:10 PM

Happy birthday Scott ! Last night I came back from Guangzhou. A pity I had hardly any time to visit the city. Your marketpics are very interesting, The diversity of food is incredible. It amazes me, how often I can't figure out what they were selling.

• Aussie_Bne's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2005 at 9:58 PM

Has anyone been to Qing Ping market recently? the last post about the market was dated in 2003. Thanks

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Oct 29, 2004 at 2:38 PM

Great page Scott!! I enjoyed very much reading about your adventures in China,again ,very helpful chinese numerations and words.Have a nice weekend!!!

• we2364's Profile Photo
    Oct 11, 2004 at 3:54 AM

Want to find out why Cantonese people are fond of wild animals? Find out the reason from my China page. But can you tell did you ever try those decilious? We say wild lifes are tasty and they gather the Qi from the sky and the ground!

• urban4est's Profile Photo
    Oct 10, 2004 at 12:28 AM

This is typical layout of statuary in China , no idea which. Many temples I have visited had statues or other objects from other Buddhist countries. sometimes gifts or the temples devotees buy them. If gift or patrons donation there is usually a sign.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2004 at 2:42 PM

Very good tips and photos. I am sure that the markets would be a nightmare for me. Turtles, oh no!

• tzuki's Profile Photo
    Jul 3, 2004 at 10:33 AM

Very colourful pictures and helpful info in this page. Xie xie :-)

• Feb 11, 2004 at 12:42 AM

Fantastic page. Your overview of the local market culture is very descriptive. I enjoyed reading the transportation tips.

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Guangzhou

Have you been to Guangzhou?