Guilin Things to Do Tips by herzog63 Top 5 Page for this destination
Guilin Things to Do: 201 reviews and 415 photos
Hopefully you'll get a sunny day if you visit Guilin. I had all rain and wind except one morning there was some sunshine! I chose that morning to climb Elephant Trunk Hill. It's another of the Limestone mountains with steep steps to get you to the top. When I got to the top there wasn't anyone else up there with me so wrote a bunch of postcards and I took my shoes and socks off to allow them to dry from the many days of walking in the rain!! I only had 2 pair of socks with me so I didn't have much choice each day but to chose the driest pair to wear!! haha I know I could have bought more but then all I'd be doing is carrying around more wet socks!! And we all know what wet socks smell like?!?! haha
Directions: It's along the Li River on the South-east part of town.
Seven Star Park
Within the Wixing Gongyuan ( Seven Star Park) you can find 6 caves that have interesting formations all with pretty cool names like Monkey scratching his butt or Big Dragon breathing fire...well I made those up but the real names are similar to those. One of the Grottoes called Crystal Palace of the Dragon King can hold 1000 people in it. It's a great place to spend a few hours.
It cost 6 FEC (US$1.60) for foreigners to get in and for locals it was .80 Fen (US$.16 cents) not FEC's so being the cheap traveler that I was. I spotted the sign in English that the student rate was the same as the local rate so I put one of my passport photos inside of my health certificate and showed that and it worked for my discount...I know most of you are saying Whoopie!! ahha You just saved $1.44 what a loser. Well as you may have read on some of my other pages I was on a 7 month trip and had to watch how I spent my money or the trip would come to an end!
Directions: You can get to the Seven Star Park by crossing the Liberation Bridge to the eastern side of town.
Another of the cool Limestone mountains to climb is Fubo Hill. It is located right next to the Li River. You could hike up this one after visiting Duxiu Feng or if you're going to be in Guilin for a few days visit one each day so you don't get burned out on climbing the hills. This is what I did.
Directions: to the north end of town...buses are available from the train station. Renting a bicycle is great too.. I did this a couple of days.
More Reviews (18)
- See All Along Zhonshsan Lu ...wild animal...
- See All Everyone on a bike
- Black Market on the Bridge
- See All Rent a bicycle
herzog63's Related Pages
Guilin Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Guilin, the River Li and Cormorant Fishing"
- "Guilin and those Cool Mountains!"
- "Hundred Miles of Art Gallery"
- "Guilin - Karst scenery and the Li River"
- "Sharrie's Guilin "Rockies""
- See All...
- Things to Do in Guilin
- Hotels in Guilin
- Transportation in Guilin
- Nightlife in Guilin
- Restaurants in Guilin
- Shopping in Guilin
- Warnings and Dangers in Guilin
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Guilin
- 21 Reviews
- 22 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 53 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Guilin?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Guilin
Photos in GuilinSee All Photos (22)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 104 reviews, 179 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 66 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buskin River State Recreation Site Intro, 69 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Yai Intro, 53 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 61 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Myanmar (Burma) Intro, 59 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puffin Island Intro, 38 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nampan Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues