"Uganik during the summer of 86" Uganik Island by herzog63

Uganik Island Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 24 photos

Great Summer of Fun and Hard Work!

This page is based on my experience from a few years ago! Well to some of you quite a few years ago! LOL
Back in those days I wasn't living full time here on Kodiak Island as I would come to work in the Fish Canneries at the end of May and stay until October then I would take off traveling. The summer of 86 didn't start out that great for me. The canneries were not real busy. To tell you the truth I don't remember why. I worked Nightshift at East Point Seafoods which mean't my usual hours were from 6 pm - 6 am then I'd come home and sleep and get up in the afternoon.
Well one day it was around 11 AM and I heard a knock at my door so I stumbled out of bed and it was a friend of mine that had another friend with him and that guy was the owner of a Set Net Fishing site in Uganik Bay and he was looking for a 3rd crewmember. He asked if I was interested......He must have been just about willing to take any one as I didn't have any fishing experience at all.
I still had sleepy seeds in my eyes and couldn't think straight and said I will have to think about it. He said ok and then left in search of a crew member.
About 2 minutes later I came to my senses and decided I WOULD like to give it a try! Well they were long gone down the road so I hopped on my bike and sped off down the road trying to find them after a few minutes I spotted them and asked if the job was still available..Yes it was so I had to get my stuff in order! I was leaving on the plane in the morning! Yikes! I had to buy new Rain Gear, Commercial Fishing license, hmmm what else?? Well I just threw all of my stuff which wasn't much into my backpack and off we went!
It was a fantastic Experience!!!!!
You can read through the pages to check out what I did that summer.

• Pros:Good hard work....
  • In a nutshell:One of my greatest summers ever!
  • Last visit to Uganik Island: Dec 1985
  • Intro Written Jul 23, 2003

• Jan 24, 2007 at 7:55 PM

my dad toby still owns east point. seeing all those old photos of my dad and east point, where i spent every summer of my childhood...it was like stumbling into a time capsule, as i was only 1 mo old in 86. mesa rocks havent changed, nor have the sunsets.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2005 at 12:10 PM

superb Natur, superb page Scott....like the Banya and the Puffins, glad ya hopped on ya bike mate, fanastic account of a days work!! tks for sharing

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2005 at 2:51 PM

you write pages that are so much fun to read Scott ! hope all is well with you and yours

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 4:45 AM

I just love your sunset photos

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2004 at 12:01 PM

What a marvelous adventure, Scott. Really enjoyed the intro!Between sunsets, brown bears, red Salmon, showerators, a fishing dog I was educated. New terms for me: tender and Banga. Super photos and text. So interesting and entertaining. Thanks.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2004 at 3:29 PM

A wonderful account of your past life as a commercial fisherman! A great old flashback - loved the shower/refrigerator combo!! Quite an experience you had!

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2004 at 5:47 PM

Hey Scott , do you Fish hahah I think you do eh woww lots of beautties (fish) Great page again Scott

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2004 at 6:23 AM

One more funny banya on VT. Want to test it too.

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2004 at 4:18 PM

Another of your great pages and amazing pics.I know what hard is the fishing work,funny pic of you with all the salmons!!!

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Oct 16, 2003 at 1:20 PM

Beautiful scenery and awesome sunsets again! Had to smile about your multifunctional showerator ! Great invention!

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Uganik Island

Have you been to Uganik Island?

Latest Activity in Uganik Island