"Uganik during the summer of 86" Uganik Island by herzog63
Uganik Island Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 24 photos
This page is based on my experience from a few years ago! Well to some of you quite a few years ago! LOL
Back in those days I wasn't living full time here on Kodiak Island as I would come to work in the Fish Canneries at the end of May and stay until October then I would take off traveling. The summer of 86 didn't start out that great for me. The canneries were not real busy. To tell you the truth I don't remember why. I worked Nightshift at East Point Seafoods which mean't my usual hours were from 6 pm - 6 am then I'd come home and sleep and get up in the afternoon.
Well one day it was around 11 AM and I heard a knock at my door so I stumbled out of bed and it was a friend of mine that had another friend with him and that guy was the owner of a Set Net Fishing site in Uganik Bay and he was looking for a 3rd crewmember. He asked if I was interested......He must have been just about willing to take any one as I didn't have any fishing experience at all.
I still had sleepy seeds in my eyes and couldn't think straight and said I will have to think about it. He said ok and then left in search of a crew member.
About 2 minutes later I came to my senses and decided I WOULD like to give it a try! Well they were long gone down the road so I hopped on my bike and sped off down the road trying to find them after a few minutes I spotted them and asked if the job was still available..Yes it was so I had to get my stuff in order! I was leaving on the plane in the morning! Yikes! I had to buy new Rain Gear, Commercial Fishing license, hmmm what else?? Well I just threw all of my stuff which wasn't much into my backpack and off we went!
It was a fantastic Experience!!!!!
You can read through the pages to check out what I did that summer.
- Pros:Good hard work....
- In a nutshell:One of my greatest summers ever!
It seems that most Kodiak Fisherman have a beard and kind of look like this! This guy was the second guy on the crew and... more travel advice
If you find yourself in Uganik bay you will probably need your own tent and supplies. There are a couple of Public Land... more travel advice
herzog63's Related Pages
Uganik Island Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Uganik Island
- Hotels in Uganik Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Uganik Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Uganik Island
- 23 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 35 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Uganik Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Uganik Island
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 104 reviews, 179 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 66 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buskin River State Recreation Site Intro, 69 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Yai Intro, 53 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 61 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 59 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Puffin Island Intro, 38 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nampan Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues