"Puffin Island" Puffin Island by herzog63

Puffin Island Travel Guide: 38 reviews and 75 photos

A Passage to Puffin Island

My Buddy Evan and I had been discussing a visit to Puffin Island for about a year or so but our schedules never matched up. Finally, last week he called me while I was at work and asked if I was interested in going. Sure! I'll just close the store and we'll go have some fun!! I said let's take my skiff. I hadn't cleaned it in a while and the barnacles were growing on it but I thought it would be ok...Well I was wrong!! As you can see in the photo my skiff needs some work so we went in Evan's nice heavy duty aluminum skiff. As you can see it was a beautiful September day as I was still able to wear shorts.

• Pros:WW II ruins - Close to Kodiak
  • Cons:We didn't see any Puffins!
  • In a nutshell:Great for a day!!
  • Last visit to Puffin Island: Sep 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 13, 2003

• JessH's Profile Photo
    May 9, 2006 at 4:25 AM

Hello Scott. Great tips & gorgeous photos! I've always wanted to visit the beauty of Alaska. (I think the sea lions are snotty because their bodies get rid of the salt from the ocean that way...) Greetings from the desert / Jess :-)

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2006 at 11:55 PM

Wonderful Sea Lions!! Strange island!!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2006 at 4:37 AM

.....and I thought it was all going to involve fishing! Very interesting.

• tini58de's Profile Photo
    Aug 20, 2005 at 10:09 PM

Ha! So you did not see any puffins? They were probably all on vacation on Fair Isle!! They are funny little birds (believe me!) Wonderful page, Scott!

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2005 at 5:03 PM

Excellent page Scott!

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Jul 28, 2004 at 2:58 PM

It's nice to see that you can come across a random toilet and turn it into a tip:) haha:) Those crazy sea lions, those allusive puffins and that beautiful fireweed. Oh, I miss Alaska:(

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 7:01 PM

Super photos. I was expecting to see Puffins though.

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Jun 13, 2004 at 6:08 PM

Beautiful place!. I like the all photos there but specially that opening picture of you with your new boat,well it looks older than my own car!!!! hahaha

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2004 at 11:58 AM

I am decived.........I want to see the Puffins, where are they?? the other stuff is good though!!^..^

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2004 at 3:01 AM

great page, fantastic photos.... good to see someone like me - I came back from the Galapagos islands with 76 photos of seals!!

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Puffin Island

Have you been to Puffin Island?

Latest Activity in Puffin Island