"Near Island - A Great Family Island" Near Island by herzog63

Near Island Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 71 photos

Near Island

When I first came to Kodiak in 1982 the only way to get to Near Island was by shuttle boat or swim! The city elders had decided some time in the late 70's to build an additional boat harbor to take care of the growing number of Fishing boats that Kodiak was getting. Kodiak was outgrowing St Paul's Harbor which was based in downtown Kodiak. Near Island had a sheltered harbor called Dog Bay which has been re-named St Herman's Harbor. This became the site to the new expanded boat harbor. A bridge had to be built to make the harbor feasable. That was very controversial at the time! I remember hearing nothing but negative comments. But now everyone seems happy!! If your interested you can check out the tips to see what has become of Near Island today.
In the photo you can see near Island is the closest Island in the sun. The bridge connects Kodiak to Near Island.

• Pros:Great place to spend a few hours
  • Last visit to Near Island: Dec 2002
  • Intro Written Jul 22, 2003

• Jun 3, 2004 at 2:23 AM

I never knew there was such an animal as a currier beaked whale. Strange, but cool. Loved the sunset pix too, and how "near" is the island anyway? =)

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Jan 25, 2004 at 2:57 AM

Hey, the touch tank seems to be a funny idea. What creatures are in the tank? Huge crabs with sharp shears?

• Imbi's Profile Photo
    Nov 18, 2003 at 8:10 PM

Feeding pigeon has become illegal in Trafalgar Square as well, £50 fine. Nice page Scott.

• pepples46's Profile Photo
    Oct 6, 2003 at 11:14 PM

I realy enjoyed strolling around here.....there you see what I meant!! thanx Scott

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2003 at 2:22 AM

We have common points my friend! we both love Sunset! Very good page Scott!:-)))

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2003 at 5:05 PM

Wow Scott, Another Beautiful page! I Love the Sunrise photos! Those salmon barries look delish! Thanks :-)

• janika's Profile Photo
    Aug 16, 2003 at 8:27 AM

Awesome sunrise images Scott. That touch tank not dangerous? How did you take the areal photographs? Did you fly a plane or helicopter? I love that red mountain! Super page with rare images. Excellent!

• dave_21's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2003 at 5:17 PM

Near Island känns väldigt Nära! Verkar vara en bra ställa för en dagsutflykt för familjen!

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Aug 1, 2003 at 2:06 PM

Another very interesting page.I liked specially your sunrise pics(much better than mines!) and your boats travelogue,well done Scott!!!

• andal13's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2003 at 9:55 AM

As a Biology teacher, I am fascinated with that touch tank (and your pictures!!!) But I am thinking about a couple of "angel pupils" that I would take to the touch tank only if it had sharks!!! ;-)

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Near Island

Have you been to Near Island?

Latest Activity in Near Island