"Near Island - A Great Family Island" Near Island by herzog63
Near Island Travel Guide: 42 reviews and 71 photos
When I first came to Kodiak in 1982 the only way to get to Near Island was by shuttle boat or swim! The city elders had decided some time in the late 70's to build an additional boat harbor to take care of the growing number of Fishing boats that Kodiak was getting. Kodiak was outgrowing St Paul's Harbor which was based in downtown Kodiak. Near Island had a sheltered harbor called Dog Bay which has been re-named St Herman's Harbor. This became the site to the new expanded boat harbor. A bridge had to be built to make the harbor feasable. That was very controversial at the time! I remember hearing nothing but negative comments. But now everyone seems happy!! If your interested you can check out the tips to see what has become of Near Island today.
In the photo you can see near Island is the closest Island in the sun. The bridge connects Kodiak to Near Island.
- Pros:Great place to spend a few hours
As you enter the Kodiak Fisheries Research center you are greeted by the hanging display of a Currier Beaked Whale. It... more travel advice
Just about anything you want to know or learn about the Alaska fisheries you can find the answers for here at the... more travel advice
herzog63's Related Pages
Near Island Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Near Island - A Great Family Island"
- "The Near and Far"
- "Island of Controversy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Near Island
- Hotels in Near Island
- Transportation in Near Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Near Island
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Near Island
- 26 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 31 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Near Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Near Island
Photos in Near IslandSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 104 reviews, 179 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 66 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buskin River State Recreation Site Intro, 69 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Yai Intro, 53 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 61 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 59 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Puffin Island Intro, 38 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nampan Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues