"Long Island (Fort Tidball circa WW II)" Long Island by herzog63

Long Island Travel Guide: 40 reviews and 41 photos

Day of adventure

My friend Evan and I had been discussing and sort of planning a visit to Spruce Island which is home to several Monks and some great hiking. Our schedules looked like we could both be available to do the trip on Sunday November 23rd! Great.....So when I got up Sunday to see clear skies and the wind didn't seem to be shaking my house I was excited to think about our days adventure....It was fairly cold at somewhere around 18 F with winds gusting up to 30 miles per hour!! Hmmmmm we discussed the weather situation and decided we would ride along the coast out to Spruce Cape then make our decision of whether or not to cross the Narrow Strait....Well we didn't even have to go that far to decide that that powerful Northwest wind was coming right down the straight and the wasn't any way to cross in our 17 foot open skiff. So from that point we decided to ride the waves and the wind and go to Long Island which was only about 15 minutes from where we were at. It ended up being a great decision.....I hope you enjoy the page.....I will describe our boat ride, freezing face and fingers, our hike and give you some historical information of the island also.

• Pros:Historical, Great hiking, deer and wildlife
  • Cons:Tough to get to!
  • In a nutshell:Go if you can
  • Last visit to Long Island: Nov 2003
  • Intro Updated Dec 10, 2003

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2005 at 4:56 PM

What more could you want? Ghosts, Old guns, Old Quonset Huts, Beautiful Vera Bay and Castle Bluff. I love the photo of the window. Very unique pages. I really enjoyed them.

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Dec 17, 2004 at 2:05 PM

As usual a great and very interesting page Scott.I enjoyed very much to learn a little bit more of your adventure at Long Island.The other day in Barcelona's Castle I saw a few guns very similar at the one in your photo.

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Jan 29, 2004 at 3:59 AM

Superb work Scotty, like always:-D

• gosiaPL's Profile Photo
    Dec 28, 2003 at 4:14 AM

What an intriguing place - history, wildlife, outdoor adventure AND thriller all in one! Absolutely stunning... excluding the weather conditions ;-)

• Helga67's Profile Photo
    Dec 25, 2003 at 5:17 PM

A very interesting place, but with all those ghosts, no place for me!

• Pawtuxet's Profile Photo
    Dec 22, 2003 at 1:02 PM

I think it was ghosts.

• Dec 18, 2003 at 10:35 PM

Hmmm, what an interesting place this seems,...full of ghosts and everything. Neat stuff man!

• Paul2001's Profile Photo
    Dec 14, 2003 at 2:13 PM

Ghosts! I was going to go until you mentioned ghosts. Great page just the same.

• Aggeliki's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2003 at 11:49 AM

It seems like an exotic wild island!! Very accurate photos for this place as i imagine this island:)))

• vaticanus's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2003 at 5:27 AM

Fascinating place. There's probably a vet association with records of this place, or the local historian- and no doubt many of the DOD files are still classified!

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Long Island

Have you been to Long Island?

Latest Activity in Long Island