"Kodiak Alaska" Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak by herzog63

Kodiak Travel Guide: 256 reviews and 446 photos

The 3 Bears

The Kodiak Brown Bear isn't the easiest animal to spot and quite often they will be spotted when you are not prepared to see them. The look cute and cuddly but they are not Cuddly!! hahahha Always keep a safe distance especially when a Mother bear is with her Baby bear! Or if you just see a Baby bear you better be very keen because Mama is very near by.

Climbing Barometer Mountain

This is from this summer on our hike up Barometer Mountain. By the time we got to the top we were completely fogged in and couldn't see more than a few feet! And the wind was blowing 45 -50 MPH! We didn't pick the right day to go. It was beautiful and sunny with no wind half way down the mountain. But that can happen on any mountain.
If you enjoy this Kodiak page you might want to check out my Kodiak Island or Chiniak Island pages as well. They have some different information and pictures. Enjoy!! If you have any questions about Kodiak Island feel free to email me and I'll get back with you as soon as I can!!

Pyramid Mtn top view

This is from this past summer 2002 our hike up Pyramid Mountain (2420 Ft.). It was a great day for a hike! You can find the trail head at mile 5.7 on the Anton Larsen Bay Road.

• Pros:Beautiful Island, Great Fishing, Great Hunting!
  • Cons:Rain
  • In a nutshell:You'll have a great time!
  • Intro Updated Jul 29, 2004

• Natalya2006's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2012 at 2:33 AM

A very nice photographs of the northen narure!

• K.Knight's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2008 at 1:37 AM

Hi Scott, you certainly do live in a fascinating part of the world. Anne and I will hopefully get to Alaska next year.

• CyberCroat's Profile Photo
    May 23, 2007 at 4:05 AM

After reading this about Kodiak I don't have to visit up there, all is here in your travelogue. Amazing place

• alaskacrazy's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2007 at 6:40 PM

That rock is scary!!! Alaska looks awesome!

• Feb 19, 2007 at 8:42 PM

Beautiful pics. We are in the Coast Guard stationed right now @ ATC Mobile AL. Hoping to go to Kodiak next transfer season (2008)

• Jul 8, 2006 at 1:36 AM

what a nice page!

• VeronicaG's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 6:09 PM

Kodiak looks like it is still unspoiled and wild--and those bears--what a photo!

• cassiejoy42's Profile Photo
    Nov 20, 2005 at 6:08 PM

Scott - Subway in Alaska - cool. We have magpies in Australia but they are much bigger. We also have a mountain range in Victoria called 3 Sisters - Cassie

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2005 at 5:17 PM

I love your photos! Great tips too.

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2005 at 5:04 AM

Stunning pictures, Scott! ... truly out of this world. Kodiak seems to have it all - mountain hikes, amazing flora and fauna, breathtaking sunrise ... and not forgetting the king salmons :) Fantastic page!

herzog63 Lives Here!

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Kodiak