"Chiniak Alaska" Chiniak Island by herzog63

Chiniak Island Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 47 photos

Road Trip to Chiniak Alaska

The following pictures come from a road trip that Kaloz (fellow VT'er) and I made on 10/14/02. It was a good drive as there had been fresh rain from the night before. So NO DUST!! If you drive out there when we have'nt had rain for a few days you will have a dust problem! I've built this site under Chiniak Island which is wrong but VT doesn't have a Chiniak Site. Chiniak Island is a tiny UNINHABITED island in the bay which probably no one has ever set foot on!! If you get a chance check out the Chiniak site that Kaloz has built...You get to see me playing in the sand which I pay Kaloz back for on my site!!
The Village of Chiniak is about 40 Beautiful Miles from downtown Kodiak. You'll pass many streams and rivers. The road is almost always right near the ocean so you beautiful views of the beachs and cliffs!! You can spot Bald Eagles, Fox, Sitka Black Tailed Deer and if you're lucky a Kodiak Brown Bear!!There aren't a whole lot of fulltime residents in Chiniak but they have their own Post Office and School. Actually the school came to National Attention in 1995 as Elaine Griffin became the United States Teacher of the Year! Which is an amazing award considering the amount of Teachers in the United States. But from what I hear from her students she was well deserving of the award. The townsfolk are quite hearty and very friendly. The atmosphere is quite relaxed. The locals have to drive on a dirt road into Kodiak to get their supplies. Many of the residents have jobs in town! It's a tough drive on that road to commute. (The Tire dealers love them as the road is a TIRE EATER !) A few miles past the Village of Chiniak which runs for about 2 miles you will find World War II bunkers and an old airstrip. The area is great for exploring and hiking!

Chiniak Post Office

Once you spot the Post Office you will be entering the residential area which is about the next 2 miles. The homes with children will have a the Buoy Swing hanging from one of the huge Sitka Spruce Trees.

Old Farm Machinery

There are a few places where you might see old abandoned farm machinery.

• Pros:Great Drive, Beautiful Scenery
  • Cons:could be dusty and can EAT tires
  • In a nutshell:Can't miss it if you come to Kodiak!!
  • Last visit to Chiniak Island: Oct 2002
  • Intro Written Oct 14, 2002

• Sep 11, 2006 at 12:32 PM

hey herzog! my family actually OWNS the roads end in chiniak ak! i have tons of stories and pictures my email is northern_yukon@yahoo.com hit me up!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jan 18, 2005 at 8:47 AM

I put you, Scott, into the category of ADVENTURER, not tourist...your trips are always amazingly unique, and this one is no exception. That one stream photo is just so incredible.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 5, 2004 at 1:11 PM

Scott, I really enjoyed my virtual trip to Chiniak! Your landscape photos are amazing, I wasn't expecting such a farmland-like appearance from Alaska! The Roads End motel and the picnic table both made me laugh out loud!! Well done.

• PA2AKgirl's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2004 at 7:26 PM

Mmm...wine. I haven't had Alaska wine yet! haha, local "yahoos" That's what we call people here too who shoot signs. Good page, I hope to be able to get back up to AK and go to lesser known places. My friend lives in Homer & has been doing some exploring.

• micas_pt's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2004 at 5:42 AM

Nice place to visit. Now that spring is arriving there are so many chances to go out again. :-)

• tpangelinan's Profile Photo
    Mar 21, 2004 at 7:33 PM

Great page as always Scott! This place has sound wonderful views, you know I'd go crazy taking photos here! Great stuff, thanks! :o)

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Feb 8, 2004 at 6:39 PM

Awesome place and photos,even the road signs are poor!! The Winery is located in a beautiful place!!!!!

• Leipzig's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2004 at 7:58 AM

Very good page. Interesting name for a hotel "Roads end". I bet you won't be bothered by street noise here.

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2003 at 12:18 PM

hey Scott,just guessing, but did the slide and the sandbox come AFTER the wine tasting LOL

• Waalewiener's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2003 at 3:26 PM

Great pictures Scott , hey I just saw Edmonton game on TV Gretzky & old boys colder then Alaska go figure eh Scott nice and warm here in Ontario Ok Scott another great page See you buddy.

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Chiniak Island

Have you been to Chiniak Island?

Latest Activity in Chiniak Island