"Chiniak Alaska" Chiniak Island by herzog63
Chiniak Island Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 47 photos
The following pictures come from a road trip that Kaloz (fellow VT'er) and I made on 10/14/02. It was a good drive as there had been fresh rain from the night before. So NO DUST!! If you drive out there when we have'nt had rain for a few days you will have a dust problem! I've built this site under Chiniak Island which is wrong but VT doesn't have a Chiniak Site. Chiniak Island is a tiny UNINHABITED island in the bay which probably no one has ever set foot on!! If you get a chance check out the Chiniak site that Kaloz has built...You get to see me playing in the sand which I pay Kaloz back for on my site!!
The Village of Chiniak is about 40 Beautiful Miles from downtown Kodiak. You'll pass many streams and rivers. The road is almost always right near the ocean so you beautiful views of the beachs and cliffs!! You can spot Bald Eagles, Fox, Sitka Black Tailed Deer and if you're lucky a Kodiak Brown Bear!!There aren't a whole lot of fulltime residents in Chiniak but they have their own Post Office and School. Actually the school came to National Attention in 1995 as Elaine Griffin became the United States Teacher of the Year! Which is an amazing award considering the amount of Teachers in the United States. But from what I hear from her students she was well deserving of the award. The townsfolk are quite hearty and very friendly. The atmosphere is quite relaxed. The locals have to drive on a dirt road into Kodiak to get their supplies. Many of the residents have jobs in town! It's a tough drive on that road to commute. (The Tire dealers love them as the road is a TIRE EATER !) A few miles past the Village of Chiniak which runs for about 2 miles you will find World War II bunkers and an old airstrip. The area is great for exploring and hiking!
Once you spot the Post Office you will be entering the residential area which is about the next 2 miles. The homes with children will have a the Buoy Swing hanging from one of the huge Sitka Spruce Trees.
There are a few places where you might see old abandoned farm machinery.
- Pros:Great Drive, Beautiful Scenery
- Cons:could be dusty and can EAT tires
- In a nutshell:Can't miss it if you come to Kodiak!!
Many of the side roads just turn into trails for 4 -wheelers or just turn into Animal trails. But they are great for... more travel advice
The drive from Kodiak to Chiniak is beautiful!! There are many spots to pull over and take in the view! Bring lots of... more travel advice
- See All Blue Skies, Tall Grass & Beaches
- See All Winery
- See All Ranch
- See All No Warning Signs!!
herzog63's Related Pages
Chiniak Island Travel Guide
- Things to Do in Chiniak Island
- Hotels in Chiniak Island
- Transportation in Chiniak Island
- Nightlife in Chiniak Island
- Restaurants in Chiniak Island
- Shopping in Chiniak Island
- Warnings and Dangers in Chiniak Island
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Chiniak Island
- 18 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Chiniak Island?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Chiniak Island
Photos in Chiniak IslandSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 104 reviews, 179 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 66 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buskin River State Recreation Site Intro, 69 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Yai Intro, 53 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 61 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 59 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puffin Island Intro, 38 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nampan Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues