Khett Siem Reab Transportation Tips by herzog63
Khett Siem Reab Transportation: 130 reviews and 203 photos
3rd class train
If you are coming overland from Thailand. After you cross the border at Poipet you will walk up straight up to the traffic circle and the trucks will be parked on the righthand side. They will spot you and start pulling and tugging at you trying to get you into their trucks!! If you don't like people grabbing at you best to avoid this method! But I don't believe they will hurt you , it's just their way of doing business! It's the way I went. My 12 year old son didn't like it but he dealt with it. Well then you have to bargain hard for a truck or car or you can continue on to get a bus. I paid 200 Thai Baht each for me and my son to ride inside the cab of the truck. It will be a long, hot,dusty, ride in the open back of the truck! I don't know what the real fare is or should be but I wouldn't pay more than that. For the trucks DO NOT PAY UNTIL YOU ARRIVE IN SIEM REAP!! That is the way the locals do it. You will be told that the truck is going all the way to Siem Reap but is probably not. It is probably only going to Sisouphon! Where you will be SOLD to another truck! Sounds weird but that's what will happen! The new truck driver will pay the old truck driver for each passenger! That's why you don't pay until you arrive in Siem Reap. Even if you get into a shouting match or some uniformed guy tells you to pay. Just keep smiling! It's all part of the game. My First driver even took our truck to an officials booth trying to get me to pay. (only me not any fo the locals that were also in the truck) It is a very interesting drive to Siem Reap as the bridges are full of holes, The Road is full of holes! It took us about 5 hours it can be faster or it can be slower. Depends on the condition of your truck, tires and the skill of the driver. When I was there in March 2002 there was quite a bit of road construction going on so there will be improvements coming!
Renting a bicycle is a great way to get around Siem Reap to check out the local sites. But motorcycle would work much better for getting out to the Temples of Angkor and beyond. You will look almost local as many local people also use bicycles for their transportation.
More Reviews (17)
- Building a new house in the Rice paddies
- See All Angkor Wat
- Changing money
- See All Wear a Hat
- See All I wish I could remember what I ordered!
herzog63's Related Pages
Khett Siem Reab Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "A Diva's Guide to Angkor"
- "Siem Reap"
- "Keeweechic's Siem Reap"
- "Amazing Ankor Wat"
- "Los templos de Angkor- Angkor temples"
- "Old World Charm of Siem Reap"
- "In Angkor and around"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Khett Siem Reab
- Hotels in Khett Siem Reab
- Transportation in Khett Siem Reab
- Nightlife in Khett Siem Reab
- Restaurants in Khett Siem Reab
- Shopping in Khett Siem Reab
- Warnings and Dangers in Khett Siem Reab
- See All...
Explore the World
- Cacique Hotels
- Woodbridge Hotels
- Council Bluffs Hotels
- Wherwell Hotels
- Sheldrake Springs
Badges & Stats in Khett Siem Reab
- 95 Reviews
- 115 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 2 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Khett Siem Reab?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Khett Siem Reab
- Posted in Travel Istanbul Forum "Re: price of honey in..."
- Commented on one of syllybabe's Khett Siem Reab travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Overland from Thailand"
- Wrote a Review Building a new house in the Rice paddies in Khett Siem Reab Off The Beaten Path
- created a Khett Siem Reab Travel Page "Siem Reap...Gateway to Angkor Wat"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 104 reviews, 179 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 66 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buskin River State Recreation Site Intro, 69 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Yai Intro, 53 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 61 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 59 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Puffin Island Intro, 38 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nampan Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues