"Cambodia 2002" Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia by herzog63

Cambodia Travel Guide: 8,545 reviews and 23,918 photos

My son with some monks we met at Banteay Shrei

Cambodia is a beautiful country that is on the rebound of a terrible time in it's history. There are so many awesome Temples to visit that you would need years to visit them all. Most people know about Angkor Wat. As it was used as a site to film the movie Tomb Raider starring Angeline Jolie. Angkor is defintely not to be missed. The Cambodian people are very friendly. When I travelled there I went with my 11 year-old son. The people really responded to him. We had a Great Time visiting Temples and riding motorcycles through the country side. You do have to careful not to go off well marked trails as there are still millions of landmines in the ground in Cambodia. There are different organizations working to rid the country of this but it will take years!!
My fascination with Cambodia began in the mid 80's while travelling in Thailand. I saw a picture of Angkor Wat in a magazine and thought to myself "that looks pretty interesting"! I checked into going to Cambodia and at that time it might have been a suicide trip. I would have needed an armored car to get around! So that trip was put on hold. By the time I had a chance to think about going again was almost 20 years later. 2002! So I finally made it this year. I had a great time. And can't wait to return to Cambodia someday ...soon!

Buddha at the entrance to the Bayon

I love the many doors of this picture! It is found just to right of the East Gate. You will be asked for a donation at this doorway!

Angkor Thom - Bayon

The Bayon in Angkor Thom is pretty facinating! There are over 200 faces carved into the towers! It is a multilevel building with steep, narrow stair wells!

• Pros:Great People
  • Cons:Landmines
  • In a nutshell:Great Architecture!!
  • Last visit to Cambodia: Mar 2002
  • Intro Updated Jun 12, 2003

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2012 at 10:33 AM

I just read a book about the Cambodia Bodes-a guerrilla military force working with elite US military to fight NVA and Viet Cong. They were a determined and strong breed, but unfortunately most got killed in the aftermath in the country later when Communism got a foothold

• Dec 31, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Happy new year 2008! Nikos from Greece and Emmy from Thailand.

• blue_sky04's Profile Photo
    May 17, 2007 at 5:21 PM

Great page. I especially like the opening photo here - it's wonderful!

• hennanights's Profile Photo
    Aug 17, 2006 at 7:54 PM

I really enjoyed your pages. We are hoping to get to Cambodia in 2007. Youre info is a great help!

• mikkie50's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2005 at 5:07 AM

hi scott just looking at your site awesome pics m8 well done i have a relation from cambodia now married into the family was addopted when she was very small orphen ned i say more cheers scott.

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2005 at 11:56 AM

Fantastic photos! I REALLY want to see this country, am just waiting for my husband to get more vacation time (sigh!) Super tip about just walking around behind Angkor Wat...

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Nov 19, 2004 at 5:10 PM

Great trip for you and your son. You two are quite brave...Love your enthusiasm and igenuity. Genuine and compelling chronicle.

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2004 at 2:33 PM

Wonderful page and amazing photos!!. + travelogues!! Hadji looks very small in all these pictures,and it was nice the road dust?? :-)

• xaver's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 2:33 AM

Hope to be there soon Scott, I like the idea of going around with a motobike driver BUT...do they necessary pick you up at 5.30 am??? :-)

• we2364's Profile Photo
    Oct 12, 2004 at 11:09 PM

Try to be googly on the question of door: There are many doors in our life. Some are false and some are true. Life is about choosing the door, which door should be opened. But in case we open a false door, we need to ajust to make it right again. Right?!

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Cambodia

Have you been to Cambodia?

Latest Activity in Cambodia