"Burma - Myanmar Land of amazing sights!" Top 5 Page for this destination Burma by herzog63
Burma Travel Guide: 3,826 reviews and 10,427 photos
Well.... I guess this is the start of my pages for Myanmar. VT still calls it Burma. But the name was changed a few years back to reflect Myanmar culture and to remove the British Era. As what was told by the few local people that I asked about it. I had always wanted to go to Burma back in the 80's when I was travelling alot in Asia but never made it. One of the reasons was that you where only allowed a 7 day visa and had to change quite a bit of money and it seemed quite expensive (to me) at the time as I didn't have lot's of money to throw around. But things have changed some...You are still required to change $200 per person into FEC's (Foreign Exchange Certificates) at the airport. Although I've heard you can get around this with small bribes if you want to. (UPDATE!!!!! I've just found out that in September of 2003 the mandatory $200 exchange was discontinued but of course this could change at any time) But unless you are only going stay for a very short time the bribe would not be worth it. More on this later...
My first impressions of Myanmar was in Yangon and I felt like I was in Northern India without the beggars that are so common there. Yangon is a city full of non-stop action. The first thing that I noticed was that all of the men wear a Longyi pronounced Long G. They seem quite practical as the country is quite hot!
The people that we met were some of the friendliest that I have ever met in my travels!
On our first night we went to the Shewedagon Paya for sunset. It was really beautiful. The top section of the Pagoda is Solid gold and the very top decorated part is full of diamonds,rubies and saphires.
The people of Myanmar seemed for the most part pretty unspoiled and we had some great conversations with all walks of life. Except I didn't meet any Government officials.
Most people spoke very good English so it was very easy to get around. Alot of people seemed to enjoy taking their time to talk with us for a few minutes. Of course most conversations started out with "Where do you come from"? I always answered "Alaska" and most ..at least 70% new that it was the land of snow.
Myanmar had some wonderful market areas. Similar to the ones that you can see all over Asia. I love just wandering through these markets and watching people barter and buy their daily cooking supplies and I also like sampling different local snacks. I don't always like them but I do enjoy giving them a try though. My son got mad me for eating locusts!! They were pretty tasty!
- Pros:Very Friendly People
- Cons:Slow Transportation
- In a nutshell:An Awesome Place!!
Not really a tourist trap as most people will need a visa in order to enter the country. You will need to get this in... more travel advice
At some of the city parks there were small entrance fees. I don't remember exactly how much the fee was but it was very... more travel advice
- See All Taxi identification
- See All Curries
- See All Longyi - Traditional clothing of Myanmar
herzog63's Related Pages
Burma Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The land of the 1.000.000 pagoda's."
- "Burma - Myanmar Land of amazing sights!"
- "Babushka Burma"
- "11 days in the Golden Land!"
- "Burma Page"
- "Brilliant Burma"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Burma
- Hotels in Burma
- Transportation in Burma
- Nightlife in Burma
- Restaurants in Burma
- Shopping in Burma
- Warnings and Dangers in Burma
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Burma
- 533 Reviews
- 604 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 15 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (33)
Have you been to Burma?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Burma
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 104 reviews, 179 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 66 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buskin River State Recreation Site Intro, 69 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Yai Intro, 53 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 61 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 59 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Puffin Island Intro, 38 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nampan Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues