"Burma - Myanmar Land of amazing sights!" Top 5 Page for this destination Burma by herzog63

Burma Travel Guide: 3,825 reviews and 10,469 photos

Yangon - Shwedagon Paya

Well.... I guess this is the start of my pages for Myanmar. VT still calls it Burma. But the name was changed a few years back to reflect Myanmar culture and to remove the British Era. As what was told by the few local people that I asked about it. I had always wanted to go to Burma back in the 80's when I was travelling alot in Asia but never made it. One of the reasons was that you where only allowed a 7 day visa and had to change quite a bit of money and it seemed quite expensive (to me) at the time as I didn't have lot's of money to throw around. But things have changed some...You are still required to change $200 per person into FEC's (Foreign Exchange Certificates) at the airport. Although I've heard you can get around this with small bribes if you want to. (UPDATE!!!!! I've just found out that in September of 2003 the mandatory $200 exchange was discontinued but of course this could change at any time) But unless you are only going stay for a very short time the bribe would not be worth it. More on this later...
My first impressions of Myanmar was in Yangon and I felt like I was in Northern India without the beggars that are so common there. Yangon is a city full of non-stop action. The first thing that I noticed was that all of the men wear a Longyi pronounced Long G. They seem quite practical as the country is quite hot!
The people that we met were some of the friendliest that I have ever met in my travels!
On our first night we went to the Shewedagon Paya for sunset. It was really beautiful. The top section of the Pagoda is Solid gold and the very top decorated part is full of diamonds,rubies and saphires.

Friendly People

The people of Myanmar seemed for the most part pretty unspoiled and we had some great conversations with all walks of life. Except I didn't meet any Government officials.
Most people spoke very good English so it was very easy to get around. Alot of people seemed to enjoy taking their time to talk with us for a few minutes. Of course most conversations started out with "Where do you come from"? I always answered "Alaska" and most ..at least 70% new that it was the land of snow.

Colorful Markets

Myanmar had some wonderful market areas. Similar to the ones that you can see all over Asia. I love just wandering through these markets and watching people barter and buy their daily cooking supplies and I also like sampling different local snacks. I don't always like them but I do enjoy giving them a try though. My son got mad me for eating locusts!! They were pretty tasty!

• Pros:Very Friendly People
  • Cons:Slow Transportation
  • In a nutshell:An Awesome Place!!
  • Last visit to Burma: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Sep 23, 2010

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Oct 27, 2010 at 2:37 PM

The scenery you show looks fantastic and the sites are real interesting. You have done a very good job to show the reader about the city

• zin's Profile Photo
    Sep 27, 2008 at 4:18 AM

HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, I AM GUILTY OF DELAYED MY GREETINGS TO VTER FRIENDS. VERY NICE AND GREAT PAGE OF BURMA. RGDS, ZIN

• crewrower's Profile Photo
    Apr 27, 2008 at 7:40 PM

Great page and information about Myanmar.

• Apr 1, 2008 at 6:54 AM

One of my favorite countries with a lot of archaeological places to visit!

• May 16, 2007 at 10:09 AM

Hi, thanks so much for the virtual tour...this is my "homeland", acutally, my dad's and unfortunately, due to the government, my family is unable to go back. What a beautiful country, so glad that you enjoyed yourself amongst the "beautiful people"!

• zlatiq's Profile Photo
    Feb 9, 2007 at 8:23 AM

thanks for the virtual tour! i'll try not to forget your tips if i make it to Burma! thnks

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2006 at 11:37 AM

I have enjoyed looking at your Burma photos and very helpful, informative and ejoyable travel tips. Thanks for sharing :)

• sirenna's Profile Photo
    Dec 31, 2006 at 3:16 AM

Try picking the legs off the locusts first! Nice page & photos. Hi from the Philippines. :)

• elpariente's Profile Photo
    Apr 2, 2006 at 1:34 PM

You have a great Burma page with very good photos

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Oct 3, 2005 at 4:34 PM

Scott, these are great pages. I've only skim read them at the minute (lack of time) but I will have a good read later. I'm planning a trip to Burma soon. fergy.

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Burma