Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Local Custom Tips by herzog63
Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Local Customs: 8 reviews and 8 photos
I've seen some pretty cool sand castles here on Mill Bay Beach....Not this one!! haha My son and I built this one in just a few minutes.
Mill Bay Beach
If you go to Mill Bay Beach on one of the Hot days you will be amazed at the amount of families that come here with Beach Towel in hand and bikinis on!! I've seen about 30 kids at a time swimming in the bay here. It's too cold for my old bones...I prefer the warmer waters of Lake Gertrude. I'll need to take a photo next summer of the Packed Beach! There is usually enough drift wood around to start a fire. Bring some hotdogs and marshmallows from some good beach food!! haha
Jamela on the trail
There are lot's of trails and none of them are more than a mile or two long. So if you have family members that want to do a hike but don't want to hike all day this is the place to do some hiking! If you bring a dog he is welcome but the park has a rule stating that dogs must be on a leash.
In and around the park there are several varieties of wild flowers but don't ask me what they are because I call them something different each time. I just like to look at them and photograph them.
From Late July to late August you can find Sweet Salmon Berries growing all over Kodiak Island and Fort Abercrombie is no exception. You can find them right along the access road but the only problem with that is that if we haven't had much rain they will be covered in dust. But you can easily find many "Dust Free" Salmon Berry patches.
Even on most of the grayest , darkest days you can enjoy the views of Monashka Bay and the surrounding mountains and you might even spot one of the local fishing boats setting thier nets in Monaska Bay. Sunshine is always a bonus though.
Thar she blows!
Here's a shot of my son and myself enjoying some spring Whale watching! We could see the whales "blowing" out in the bay. But much too far out for anything to show up on a photo so you'll just have to take my word for it!! haha
Bear Proof Trash bins
There have been Bear sightings in the park. But it is rare especially now that the State Parks people have changed the style of trash bins. All trash bins have a latch that only a human can open....Sorry Mr Bear, you can't eat the trash anymore!!
And Please if you bring litter in to the park use the trash bins or better yet take all your trash back out and use one of the public Dumpsters in town as the State Parks are taking quite a hit with all the budget cuts!! It drives me crazy to go on one our walks/hikes through the park and to find coke cans on the trail! Who raises these kinds of people??? Gosh my I watched my son chase a gum wrapper down the trail one day that got away from him in the wind....he got it back and put it in his pocket!!
More Reviews (37)
- See All Mark VI gun information
- See All Fishing in Lake Gertrude
- See All Northern Lights
- See All View from the beach
- See All Fox in the camp
herzog63's Related Pages
Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Fort Abercrombie"
- Create a Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Travel Page
- Things to Do in Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park
- Hotels in Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park
- Transportation in Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park
- Nightlife in Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park
- Restaurants in Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park
- See All...
Explore the World
- Nepal Hotels
- Channapatna Hotels
- French Lick
- Saugatuck Hotels
- Moreton Island
- Camp Borden Hotels
Badges & Stats in Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park
- 45 Reviews
- 68 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 42 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (34)
Have you been to Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park
Photos in Fort Abercrombie State Historical ParkSee All Photos (68)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 104 reviews, 179 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 66 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buskin River State Recreation Site Intro, 69 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Yai Intro, 53 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 61 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 59 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Puffin Island Intro, 38 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nampan Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues