"Khao Yai National Park" Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Yai by herzog63

Ban Khao Yai Travel Guide: 105 reviews and 293 photos

Khao Yai National Park

Khao Yai is a big National Park as it covers over 2000 sq KM. It is the first of it's kind that was established in Thailand in 1961. There are tons of waterfalls, magnificent hikes, animals galore, gobs of creepy crawlers, and many kinds of forest to be found here. Apparantly there are Several kinds of deer but we only saw one kind but we saw well over 100 of them! We didn't spot any of the several hundred elephants that were supposed to be residing in the park. We did see quite a few bird species that looked quite cool but I'm not up on my birds so correct identification isn't going to happen. We did get to see this really cool Scorpion on one of our hikes. We did 5 hikes in our 3 days at the park!

Finally make it to Khao Yai National Park

I had first read about Khao Yai National Park in 1984 but never made it until this year (2003). I had contacted my Friends Pla,Ooy and Gop and told them that I would be returning to Thailand in March and was wondering if they would like to do a trip to Khao Yai National Park. And being the great friends that they are they said sure!! I told them the dates that I would be available and they made arrangements at their work for some vacation time. They picked my son and I up at Don Muang International Airport after we finished our 2 wonderful weeks in Myanmar. And we went direct to Khao Yai! So we didn't miss a beat! It was perfect. I know my son and I had a great time even though we didn't see any elephants but the hikes that we did with our friends will never be forgotten!! Thanks to you Pla, Ooy and Gop!!!!!! I hope we can do it again someday!!!

• Pros:Wonderful Natural surroundings!!
  • Cons:Didn't see an Elephant!! LOL Oh well....next time...
  • In a nutshell:Great waterfalls...Great hiking.....
  • Last visit to Ban Khao Yai: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Aug 16, 2003

• xty's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2006 at 10:14 AM

Great pages of khao yai. Very informative. I plan to go there this weekend, as well as visiting surrounding places like Lopburi, Saraburi, Ayuthaya, if I have time ;)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2005 at 2:47 PM

What a spectacular adventure for you and your son! You had great warnings, especially the urninal warning LOL The suspension bridge looks cool, and kids always manage to jumb when on them. Thanks for a terrific vicarious trip.

• Apr 7, 2005 at 11:03 AM

Hornets in the urinal? I think this is the funniest - at least the most unusal warning and danger tip on VT! Great page!

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jan 8, 2005 at 5:04 AM

Very imformative page. Too bad you couldn't get more photos of animals. I plan to go there one day.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Nov 16, 2004 at 4:42 AM

Well if a cow leaves meadow muffins, I guess the elephant leaves a loaf -- ha ha. Some of us go to Paris, but YOU have all the fun :))))

• grets's Profile Photo
    Nov 4, 2004 at 7:08 AM

What a fab adventure! This looks like my kind of place! Your comments about leeches brought back many memories, as did the sounds of the jungle at night! Shame about the lack of elephants, but that green scorpion sure looks cool!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2004 at 4:13 PM

Amazing place, well documented. I could learn to live without the scorpions, cobras etc though! Perhaps you could add butter and jam for a tasty elephant loaf snack?

• shivan's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2004 at 1:57 PM

nice page, your pics are always unusual

• l_joo's Profile Photo
    Aug 13, 2004 at 11:36 AM

You sure only 20 snapshots on that green little scorpions....

• whitecliff62's Profile Photo
    Jul 25, 2004 at 12:40 PM

Yo Scott, you nearly got stung on the stinger by a hornet in the urinal hehehehehehehe, i had a little sweling last night, but we'd better not go into that hahahahahahahaha. Wonderful page scott.

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Ban Khao Yai

Have you been to Ban Khao Yai?

Latest Activity in Ban Khao Yai