"Angkor Thom - Amazing Stone Faces" Top 5 Page for this destination Angkor Thum by herzog63

Angkor Thum Travel Guide: 266 reviews and 932 photos

Angkor Thom

For me the whole idea of visiting Cambodia was to see the amazing Angkor Wat! About 3 weeks before I left I bought the Lonely Planet Guide for Cambodia and started reading about Angkor Thom. I'm not a real big planner and mostly like to take my travels moment to moment but....This Angkor Thom place made it to my must see list and it may have been my favorite place even over the more famous Angkor Wat!!
The area of Angkor Thom is 10 sq km. So it's a good sized area to explore! There are plenty of wonderful surprises! At least I thought so....

Far and Near.................

The Bayon is one of those places that you see so many different details from up close! This photo is a perfect example!! When you look at it in this small format it just looks like a rock with some stuff growing on it. Well if you have time please click on this one photo as you will see what I mean!! The same goes for the whole Bayon Complex...As you approach from a distance it looks like a Giant pile of rocks (to me anyways) but as you walk closer you start making out many of the faces and the other details.

• In a nutshell:Awesome!!!
  • Last visit to Angkor Thum: Mar 2002
  • Intro Updated Jul 31, 2003

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2005 at 2:20 AM

Thanks for the tour of Angkor Thum. I am impressed. Excellent photos and discriptions.

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo
    Sep 14, 2005 at 10:35 AM

Great photos and tips.. Thanks for all the info.. The pass does seem like a rip off but at least it goes to help preserve the sites.. Enjoyed browsing through!!

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Jun 23, 2005 at 1:48 PM

Amazing stone faces+page+photos!!!!!.Really Cambodia has hundreds of beautiful places to go.I saw some of these temples few days ago on the tv.!

• bpacker's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2005 at 11:36 PM

Scott, I'm blown away by your pictures. Anyway, this is my next destination, so I might write to you and ask you a couple of questions..

• Gili_S's Profile Photo
    Dec 27, 2004 at 12:58 PM

Great adventure. I like the coconut meat as well but I will be afraid a bit of the food stalls, as my stomach is sensitive sometimes.

• akikonomu's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2004 at 4:27 AM

The off-the-beaten path places are amazing. Pity I missed these places. The Baphuon definitely looks less crowded and serene during your visit.

• Jul 26, 2004 at 3:31 PM

Your son will be the next global trotter!!!

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2004 at 12:26 AM

Wow, what a place Scott! Great page, beautiful photos! Those faces are amazing! I think I would go completely camera crazy here! Hahaha, I guess someone even has to drag me away from here, LOL, as I wouldn't be able to stop clicking that camera ;-))

• Maillekeul's Profile Photo
    Jul 4, 2004 at 11:03 PM

Great pix and precious info... I would love to go there !! Thanks !

• JetlagCity's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2004 at 3:48 PM

How great that you found out about this place right before your trip, & thanks for introducing me to it - I'm getting more & more curious about this part of the world. Very interesting that some of the temples are a mix of Hindu and Buddhist!

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Angkor Thum

Have you been to Angkor Thum?

Latest Activity in Angkor Thum