"Amarapura - Home of U Beins Bridge" Top 5 Page for this destination Amarapura by herzog63
Amarapura Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 183 photos
Before I arrived in Mandalay I hadn't heard of Amarapura! I did read about U Beins Bridge in the Lonely Planet guide but didn't realize that it was in Amarapura. On my truck ride into Mandalay from the bus stop I was approached by a "Guide" and he had all kinds of papers showing the "Ancient Cities" And he was willing to give us a tour in a taxi for $25 for the whole day. It sounded expensive to me as I thought I could do it for $10. I wanted to include Mingun too and see what I could see in 12 hours. He said well Mingun was a bit out of the way and that would be an extra $10. Well that was more than I wanted to spend. In my tired state I ended up agreeing to $32 for the guy to pick us up at 8 am and take us to Amarapura, Inwa, Mingun and Sagaing. I did find out later that I could have done this trip for alot cheaper! I was very tired as I had just come off my 17 hour night bus ride from Yangon. And being a man of my word I stayed with him. But if you want to go you can take one of the smaller blue taxi's and do all of this for about $12-$15. My guide was not a real adventurous guide either. He would tell us stuff and then kind of hang around the car while we walked around. In our price we also had a driver. It would be cheaper to just get a guy that is the driver and drag along a guide book. Unless you want to listen to somebody explain stuff as you go along. We had a pleasant enough day and we got to see all of the things that I wanted to see plus some stuff that I hadn't asked about.
- Pros:Ancient Cities
- Cons:Hmmm....nothing I can think of
- In a nutshell:Ancient Cities!
I noticed that drying bamboo was laying on the ground in front of almost all of the houses on the Thaungthaman side of... more travel advice
Walking across U Bein's Bridge late in the day and watching the sun go down is a great sight!! At that time of day/night... more travel advice
herzog63's Related Pages
Amarapura Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Amarapura - Home of U Beins Bridge"
- "It's really a suburb now."
- "AMARAPURA MYANMAR"
- "The Bridge and Unexpected Lessons"
- "THE CITY OF IMMORTALS..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Amarapura
- Hotels in Amarapura
- Transportation in Amarapura
- Restaurants in Amarapura
- Shopping in Amarapura
- Warnings and Dangers in Amarapura
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Amarapura
- 36 Reviews
- 37 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (73)
Have you been to Amarapura?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Amarapura
Photos in AmarapuraSee All Photos (37)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 104 reviews, 179 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 66 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buskin River State Recreation Site Intro, 69 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Yai Intro, 53 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 61 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 59 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Puffin Island Intro, 38 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nampan Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues