"Amarapura - Home of U Beins Bridge" Top 5 Page for this destination Amarapura by herzog63

Amarapura Travel Guide: 71 reviews and 183 photos

Amarapura

Before I arrived in Mandalay I hadn't heard of Amarapura! I did read about U Beins Bridge in the Lonely Planet guide but didn't realize that it was in Amarapura. On my truck ride into Mandalay from the bus stop I was approached by a "Guide" and he had all kinds of papers showing the "Ancient Cities" And he was willing to give us a tour in a taxi for $25 for the whole day. It sounded expensive to me as I thought I could do it for $10. I wanted to include Mingun too and see what I could see in 12 hours. He said well Mingun was a bit out of the way and that would be an extra $10. Well that was more than I wanted to spend. In my tired state I ended up agreeing to $32 for the guy to pick us up at 8 am and take us to Amarapura, Inwa, Mingun and Sagaing. I did find out later that I could have done this trip for alot cheaper! I was very tired as I had just come off my 17 hour night bus ride from Yangon. And being a man of my word I stayed with him. But if you want to go you can take one of the smaller blue taxi's and do all of this for about $12-$15. My guide was not a real adventurous guide either. He would tell us stuff and then kind of hang around the car while we walked around. In our price we also had a driver. It would be cheaper to just get a guy that is the driver and drag along a guide book. Unless you want to listen to somebody explain stuff as you go along. We had a pleasant enough day and we got to see all of the things that I wanted to see plus some stuff that I hadn't asked about.

• Pros:Ancient Cities
  • Cons:Hmmm....nothing I can think of
  • In a nutshell:Ancient Cities!
  • Last visit to Amarapura: Mar 2003
  • Intro Written May 17, 2003

• Faiza-Ifrah's Profile Photo
    Apr 21, 2008 at 4:12 PM

hello stranger ! i was watching burma on animal planet and today i came over VT i decided to visit a burma page from your pages. this is xclent information here :-)

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2005 at 2:27 PM

Our pages looks much better on my new LCD screen for my computer!!!! I was missing see your pages lately!!!! take care my friend!!!

• l_joo's Profile Photo
    Aug 19, 2004 at 10:11 PM

This location looks absolutely Off the beaten path....nice introduction

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Jul 26, 2004 at 6:50 PM

Great pictures and a very interesting page. Good job.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Jun 21, 2004 at 11:13 AM

Amazing place and page:) I LOVE the little blue truck ;)

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    May 6, 2004 at 3:20 PM

The idyllic scenes at U Bein's Bridge are amazing!! It must have been quite somthing to experience the quiet time there before darkness fell!

• JamesWtc's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2004 at 2:14 AM

cool picture of Monks>>>

• Waxbag's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2004 at 5:52 AM

Great Page! Amarapura is amazing for all artisans workers producing labor intensive products. Life here is fascinating and feels like a time long ago.

• Bonobo2005's Profile Photo
    Nov 22, 2003 at 8:27 AM

Scott, you keep surprising me with your Myanmar Book; again a top quality chapter full of detail and atmosphere!! superb pix also, esp. that of drying cotton (the 1st tip that made it to my CTG)

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2003 at 10:02 PM

Great Page Scotty! would say like my sweet friend Sim1 : Another Fantastic page Scott, Wow! hee hee hee:-))

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Amarapura

Have you been to Amarapura?

Latest Activity in Amarapura