"Yangon - City of Golden Pagodas" Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon by herzog63

Rangoon Travel Guide: 543 reviews and 1,378 photos

First Impression of Yangon

My first impression was that I was in Northern India! As I left the airport in my taxi my son and I where going to have a new experience. I noticed that the men were all wearing a long sarong type thing so I asked the taxi driver about it and he said it was a Longyi pronounced Long G. He was wearing one too! Hmm..Gonnna have to get me one of those! We bought one for each of us but did't wear them around. Looking back I wish we would have. I noticed that the locals really accepted the foreigners that did wear them. I thought they might laugh at us but I was wrong. If I make it back to Myanmar the first thing I will do is buy a Longyi and wear it. I also noticed that there wasn't mass amounts of traffic. There is traffic but nothing compared to Bangkok ..not even close at least where I was driving. As we were coming into the city I spotted Shwedagon Paya off to my left and it sent shivers up my spine! Gosh! I couldn't wait to get there! This is the first picture that I had taken in Yangon. It is from the balcony of the Golden Smile Guest House.
My Yangon page is going to take a couple of days at least to complete so if you enjoy what you see please check back as I have lot's of material to add!

Yangon is a pretty cool city

It is not what I had expected! The architecture in the older parts of town is very British Colonial. I didn't know a whole lot about Myanmar before I went. I knew that it had Golden Pagodas and had heard that the people were very friendly but mostly poor and that the Goverment was pretty messed up! But other than that I new very little. Our Guest House was very near the Sule Paya so that is where we headed to first. Actually second we walked a little ways past Sule Paya to Mahahandoola St which is where I was told that alot of money changers hung out. Had to change some of those FEC's into spending money.

• Pros:Great place to wander..Great food..Great people!
  • Cons:Non from me
  • In a nutshell:Fantastic city!
  • Last visit to Rangoon: Mar 2003

Sep 22, 2005 at 4:30 PM

Lovely page on Rangoon. It's on my wishlist, too - one day :-) cheers

• DaDrifter's Profile Photo
    Aug 24, 2005 at 9:45 PM

Fantastic page, Scott! Love the pictures and your street side stories :) My fascination for Burma has grown with these pages.

• canadiantravelgirl's Profile Photo
    Aug 14, 2004 at 11:27 PM

Great page!!! My b/f and I are in the early stages of planning a trip to Burma-Myanmar and your tips provided us with lots of great info!! Thanks!!

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2004 at 8:34 AM

Loved reading this page. Great tips and photos. I am sure the kitchens do leave a lot to be desired.

• Sharrie's Profile Photo
    Jul 19, 2004 at 2:32 AM

Heading here for a quick weekend trip next week. 1) It's ok to take a cab from taxi? No scams, right? 2) Is it $200/300 that I have to convert into their currency? Thanks for the tips! I've tried snakes many times, but fried snakes... that's a novelty ;-)

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    May 13, 2004 at 7:01 PM

As usual wonderful page,pictures and travelogues.Well I'm not sure to try the fried snake!!!!!! :-)

• radz's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2004 at 5:53 AM

Great page,Loved ur pics.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    Mar 17, 2004 at 8:48 AM

Great page Scott!!! I enjoyed this page so much! Your travel experiences, your beautiful photos and your great sense of humor make it a fantastic page to read. Hahaha, the melting ice warning made me laugh sooo much, hahahaha :-)))

• dr.firas's Profile Photo
    Feb 24, 2004 at 8:22 AM

Sule Paya looks like the city of gold ;-) hey never heard about snake food, but here in France I saw a a vodka drink and in it there were a snake Eeeeeeek LOL

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Rangoon

Have you been to Rangoon?

Latest Activity in Rangoon