"Yangon - City of Golden Pagodas" Top 5 Page for this destination Rangoon by herzog63
Rangoon Travel Guide: 566 reviews and 1,638 photos
My first impression was that I was in Northern India! As I left the airport in my taxi my son and I where going to have a new experience. I noticed that the men were all wearing a long sarong type thing so I asked the taxi driver about it and he said it was a Longyi pronounced Long G. He was wearing one too! Hmm..Gonnna have to get me one of those! We bought one for each of us but did't wear them around. Looking back I wish we would have. I noticed that the locals really accepted the foreigners that did wear them. I thought they might laugh at us but I was wrong. If I make it back to Myanmar the first thing I will do is buy a Longyi and wear it. I also noticed that there wasn't mass amounts of traffic. There is traffic but nothing compared to Bangkok ..not even close at least where I was driving. As we were coming into the city I spotted Shwedagon Paya off to my left and it sent shivers up my spine! Gosh! I couldn't wait to get there! This is the first picture that I had taken in Yangon. It is from the balcony of the Golden Smile Guest House.
My Yangon page is going to take a couple of days at least to complete so if you enjoy what you see please check back as I have lot's of material to add!
It is not what I had expected! The architecture in the older parts of town is very British Colonial. I didn't know a whole lot about Myanmar before I went. I knew that it had Golden Pagodas and had heard that the people were very friendly but mostly poor and that the Goverment was pretty messed up! But other than that I new very little. Our Guest House was very near the Sule Paya so that is where we headed to first. Actually second we walked a little ways past Sule Paya to Mahahandoola St which is where I was told that alot of money changers hung out. Had to change some of those FEC's into spending money.
- Pros:Great place to wander..Great food..Great people!
- Cons:Non from me
- In a nutshell:Fantastic city!
This restaurant has snake for sale. I didn't get to try any as it was the last snake of the afternoon until evening.... more travel advice
The public buses that travel the streets of Yangon are very packed with people! If you decide to get on one be prepared... more travel advice
herzog63's Related Pages
Rangoon Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Yangon - capital and great introduction to Myanmar"
- "Yangon - City of Golden Pagodas"
- "Some of the Loveliest People in all of Asia"
- "Yangon - don`t worry anymore..."
- "Yangon - Once Visited"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Rangoon
- Hotels in Rangoon
- Transportation in Rangoon
- Nightlife in Rangoon
- Restaurants in Rangoon
- Shopping in Rangoon
- Warnings and Dangers in Rangoon
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Rangoon
- 36 Reviews
- 54 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 37 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (72)
Have you been to Rangoon?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Rangoon
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kodiak Intro, 104 reviews, 179 photos, 11 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Cambodia Intro, 66 reviews, 100 photos, 5 travelogues
- Buskin River State Recreation Site Intro, 69 reviews, 86 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Ban Khao Yai Intro, 53 reviews, 88 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Thailand Intro, 68 reviews, 71 photos
- Bangkok Intro, 61 reviews, 72 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Burma Intro, 59 reviews, 64 photos, 1 travelogue
- Fort Abercrombie State Historical Park Intro, 45 reviews, 68 photos, 5 travelogues
- Puffin Island Intro, 38 reviews, 75 photos, 5 travelogues
- Nampan Intro, 44 reviews, 65 photos, 3 travelogues