"Floating Gardens, Handi-craft villages" Zayatkyi by herzog63

Zayatkyi Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 30 photos

Beautiful Village

The Village of Zayatkyi and the surrounding villages are just picture perfect Beautiful!! From a distance the houses appear to be floating as they are built on stilts. I will be covering the villages of Zayatkyi,Kela,Ywama,Imbawkon and the Monastery of Nga Phe Kyaung(Jumping Cat Monastery) on this page as there aren't VT pages for some of them and I only have one or 2 pics of some of the places. I will also be covering the Floating Gardens.
All of these places can be visited as a day trip from Naungshwe on Inle Lake. I hired a boat for the day that started at 6am and returned me back to Naungshwe at around 5 pm. It was a wonderful day on the lake!

• Pros:Just beautiful!!
  • Cons:nothing well maybe the sunburn I got!! LOL My own fault!!
  • In a nutshell:You'll never forget it!
  • Last visit to Zayatkyi: Mar 2003
  • Intro Updated Apr 16, 2003

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
    Jun 5, 2005 at 5:45 AM

Amazing places you get to. Thanks for sharing.

• kyoub's Profile Photo
    Aug 12, 2004 at 8:23 AM

Very interesting page. I always wondered how they made the paper.

• shrimp56's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2004 at 2:42 PM

You've got a great eye for details -- I really enjoyed the various local crafts -- as well as the "off ramp" for the canal :)))

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Jul 24, 2004 at 7:52 AM

Thanks for the guiding light! What a fascinating trip you had. If I get there I promise to send you a brolly :-)))

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2004 at 4:31 PM

Another great page allowing us to re-live your travel experiences in Asia! Great photos and tips! Those floating gardens are amazing!

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2004 at 3:02 PM

Very interesting page and local customs tips!,Beautiful Page for a Beautiful Village!!.It seems that making paper is a hard work!!

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Feb 6, 2004 at 12:29 AM

fabulous page Scott, yours are always packed with information !

• catalysta's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2004 at 2:28 PM

Scott, your photos and write-ups of all the Zayatkyi craftspersons are terrific; I especially loved the papermakers, even though I'm a weaver, LOL! Must've been fascinating to watch all of them at work....cat

• vaticanus's Profile Photo
    Oct 26, 2003 at 4:26 AM

You have enough material here for a PhD thesis- and plenty of homemade paper to write it up on too! A really well done page.

• mrclay2000's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2003 at 11:04 AM

Interesting place with its traditional handmade industries.

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Zayatkyi

Have you been to Zayatkyi?