"Jaisalmer - Beautiful Oasis in the Sand" Top 5 Page for this destination Jaisalmer by herzog63

Jaisalmer Travel Guide: 421 reviews and 1,525 photos

The Dunes

I had heard about Jaisalmer from a fellow traveler at a small restaurant in Agra. He described it so beautifully and he had my heart pounding with excitement as he told stories about this place that I had never heard of. After I went back to my guesthouse I dug my Lonely Planet India guide out of my backpack and found this mysterious place. Hmmmm..... not a whole lot of information but looks quite interesting! As I didn't really know what I wanted to see in India at that time I decided to work my way west through Rajasthan until I could lay my eyes on Jaisalmer. Meeting that guy was one of the greatest meetings I ever had! I usually don't talk with very many other foreigners while I travel as I prefer to meet local people as that is what I'm there for.
Disclaimer: I think Jaisalmer has changed over the years so most or all of my information could be very outdated as it's based on my experiences from 1985!!

• Pros:Great Camel trekking .....Beautiful Views...
  • Cons:I didn't have any
  • In a nutshell:Fantastic destination!!
  • Last visit to Jaisalmer: Dec 1984
  • Intro Written Jun 26, 2003

• hellofromsatadru's Profile Photo
    Jun 8, 2011 at 3:14 AM

I'm from India and Jaisalmer is my most favourite place. Don't you visited the havellis (richly decorated houses of the wealthy merchants) like nathmalji ki havelli. patwanon ki havelli etc, they are some excuiste work of arts. Anyway great pictures.

• alexandria08's Profile Photo
    Jan 7, 2009 at 9:42 AM

nice tips and write up. I am planning a visit to Jaisalmer next month... ur ideas especially wrt camels will be of help I think...!!

• mantru's Profile Photo
    Sep 30, 2007 at 2:28 AM

hey for how many days did you take the trip ...i have two days will it be possible.tips are good...

• umashanker's Profile Photo
    Apr 6, 2006 at 3:52 AM

very intersting.Abondon villages are found in other parts of Rajashthan too.

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2005 at 3:23 PM

great tips!

• grets's Profile Photo
    Oct 25, 2004 at 2:10 PM

I read your tips on camels with humour, interest and trepidation as I am about to embark on an 11-day camel trek in the deserts of Sudan. Am I mad?

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2004 at 4:38 PM

Just amazing, Scott. A fantastic group of pages about Jaisalmer. Some of your photos just blew me away. Sleeping on roof made me LOL. New Year Eve party was really something.

• Hosell's Profile Photo
    Aug 23, 2004 at 4:23 PM

I enjoyed reading once again this page,what a nice adventure in the desert!! amazing sunset pictures aswell!!!

• maysue's Profile Photo
    Jul 14, 2004 at 6:15 PM

Beautiful sunset. Seeing it makes me feel at peace. Thanks!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Jul 10, 2004 at 10:31 AM

Beautiful sunsets and a big adventure! I would never dare to sit on a camel!!!

herzog63

“Enjoy Life ...You Only Have One!!!!!”

Badges & Stats in Jaisalmer

Have you been to Jaisalmer?

Latest Activity in Jaisalmer