Oaxaca de Juárez Off The Beaten Path Tips by shdw100 Top 5 Page for this destination
Oaxaca de Juárez Off The Beaten Path: 43 reviews and 63 photos
So, we rented a car and the lady at the car place said "You have to see Hierve de Agua", so we said, "Why not?" The only way to see this place is by renting a car because it is really out there in the middle of no where! You have to take dirt road up in the highlands to find the place. We stopped at a little town to ask where we were and they said "just keep going, you cannot miss it!" Well, after about an hour on the road, we finally made it, and it was well worth the effort! The place is actually some highly concentrated mineral springs that have crusted over with time. You can walk on the places where the water comes out and view the spectacular scenery around the falls. It was a wonderful site!
Here is a more detailed description from a website:
There are two impressive petrified waterfalls here (calcium carbonate), that were formed thousands of years ago, as the result of dripping carbonated water. The water descends 160 feet (50 metres) over two rugged rock cliffs.
The spring area, source of the fall, was taken advantage of to create a large pool, which has become a natural warm-water spa.
Hierve el Agua has been recognised as being a probable sacred place of the ancient Zapotecos, founded here perhaps, because of its impressive natural contrasts. It is deep in the heart of a steep sierra that is characterised for its extreme dryness during its low-water season
San Lorenzo Albarradas: Is located 50 miles (80 kilometres) East of the City of Oaxaca via highway 190 to the Isthmus. Turn left at the Mitla detour and continue on the road which takes you to Ayutla Mixes. Turn left when you reach the San Lorenzo Albarradas detour. Approximate travel time: [2:00]
Hierve el Agua is found in the Roeguia Ranch, which is itself located 3 miles (5 kilometres) from San Lorenzo Albarradas.
I would probably consider this not insomuch an off the beat tip as much as just a cool place to see. The LDS temple in Oaxaca is really beautiful. If you have time, take a chance to see this pretty building at night. It really is a stark contrast to the surrounding area.
A visit to Oaxaca isn't complete without visiting El Tule. Said to be the largest tree in the world in terms of volume, El Tule is HUGE! It is gated off so you cannot get too close. The little chapel that sits right next to it looks dwarfed by this mammoth tree. El Tule is easy to get to, about 15 minutes outside of Oaxaca. Just ask any taxi cab driver and they can get you there.
More Reviews (14)
- See All Convent Gardens
- See All People watching
- Tortilla soup
- See All Alamo car rental
shdw100's Related Pages
Oaxaca de Juárez Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Oaxaca"
- "Oaxaca de Juárez"
- "Oaxaca and Monte Alban"
- "Cacti and Cappuccinos"
- "Oaxaca and Monte Alban"
- "City of endless stories and sights"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Hotels in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Transportation in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Nightlife in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Restaurants in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Shopping in Oaxaca de Juárez
- Warnings and Dangers in Oaxaca de Juárez
- See All...
Explore the World
- Dambulla Hotels
- Tavern Island Hotels
- Foz do Iguaçu
- Kennebunkport Hotels
- Éze Hotels
Badges & Stats in Oaxaca de Juárez
- 17 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 28 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Oaxaca de Juárez?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Oaxaca de Juárez
Top 10 Pages
- Mexico Intro, 30 reviews, 26 photos
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oaxaca de Juárez Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eureka Springs Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palenque Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kansas City Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucerne Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Heidelberg Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monte Albán Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue
Latest Oaxaca de Juárez hotel reviews
- La Casa de Don Pablo Hostel
- 19 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 13, 2013
- Camino Real Oaxaca
- 151 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 22, 2013
- Hostel Don Nino
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 20, 2013
- Hotel Maela
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 10, 2012
- Bahia de la Luna
- 141 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 31, 2013
- Hotel Casa Antigua
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 24, 2013
- Hostal Pochon
- 43 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Mar 12, 2013
- Oaxaca Ollin
- 321 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 15, 2013