"Home of Harry S. Truman" Independence by shdw100
Independence Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 127 photos
Independence is a separate city from Kansas City, but many people consider it to be just an extension of the greater Kansas City metropolitan area. Independence has been around since 1827, making it one of the oldest settlements west of the Mississippi. It has a long history as being the place where the trails to the west started, namely the Oregon and the Santa Fe. Missionaries for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (the Mormons) arrived here, although because of religious persecution, were eventually driven from the state. Independence was involved in the Civil War, as Missouri was a swing state, with both the Union and Confederacy wanting it for it's own. The 33rd President of the United States, Harry S. Truman, resided here as well. The city is rich in history, a great place to explore for a day
- Pros:Many different things to do in one day.
- In a nutshell:Great place to learn about early frontier history
There are many shops located around the historic main square of Independence, surrounding the city hall. Many of them... more travel advice
shdw100's Related Pages
Independence Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "INDEPENDENCE - HARRY TRUMAN AND THE GARDEN OF EDEN"
- "Independence, Missouri - Home to Trails and HST"
- "Home of Harry S. Truman"
- "Beachdave's new Independence Page"
- "Queen City of the Trails"
- "Not a Suburb of Kansas City"
- "BLSM's Independence Page"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Independence
- Hotels in Independence
- Transportation in Independence
- Restaurants in Independence
- Shopping in Independence
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Independence
- 3 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (17)
Have you been to Independence?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Independence
Photos in IndependenceSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Mexico Intro, 30 reviews, 26 photos
- Paris Intro, 14 reviews, 38 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Oaxaca de Juárez Intro, 17 reviews, 33 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Eureka Springs Intro, 12 reviews, 36 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Palenque Intro, 14 reviews, 31 photos, 2 travelogues
- Kansas City Intro, 12 reviews, 27 photos, 2 travelogues
- Salzburg Intro, 11 reviews, 18 photos, 1 travelogue
- Lucerne Intro, 8 reviews, 20 photos, 2 travelogues
- Heidelberg Intro, 6 reviews, 21 photos, 3 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Monte Albán Intro, 8 reviews, 17 photos, 1 travelogue