"IN THE VALLEY OF THE BOW" Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary by madamx
Calgary Travel Guide: 1,066 reviews and 1,877 photos
Calgary, Alberta, Canada is a large, vibrant city located in the Bow River valley at the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. The population of Calgary has reached 1 million and it is the largest city in Alberta, the second largest municipality in Canada, and the second largest head office city in Canada.
Calgary was established as a fort in 1875 by Colonel James Macleod of the Northwest Mounted Police, and was originally named Fort Brisebois. It was officially named Calgary in 1876, after Colonel Macleod's ancestral Scottish homeland, Calgary Bay on the Isle of Mull. Calgary was officially incorporated as a city in 1885.
When the Canadian Pacific Railway extended their line into Southern Alberta, thousands of settlers flocked to Calgary on the offer of free homestead land. In addition, the government began leasing land at one cent per acre per year.
As a result of cheap leased land, huge ranching operations were established, and Calgary quickly became known as the cattle industry capital of Canada -- which it still is today.
The wold-famous Calgary Stampede started in 1912 as a small show by rich ranchers and steadily grew to "the greatest outdoor show on earth." Two Alberta oil discoveries ( in 1914 and 1947) soon put Calgary on the map as the oil and gas capital of Canada.
Today, shaped by commerce, agriculture, and oil, Calgary's economy is booming, and there's no signs of it stopping. Visitors coming to Calgary expect "Cowtown" and discover a bustling and cosmopolitan urban centre -- one of the fastest growing cities in North America
- In a nutshell:So much more than cowboys, oil and beef!!!
We had heard the old pizza standby in Calgary, Stromboli's had been handed over the owner's son and totally stripped... more travel advice
The Home Food Inn sounds like a greasy spoon diner, but it serves up some of Calgary's best Chinese food. Not located in... more travel advice
- See All Ironwood Stage and Grill
- See All Hyatt Regency
- Western Culture
- See All Outdoor Gear/Clothing
- See All The Royal Tyrrell Museum
- See All Lunch on Saturdays
madamx's Related Pages
Calgary Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "IN THE VALLEY OF THE BOW"
- "Calgary, Alberta, Canada"
- "HATS OFF TO CALGARY"
- "Calgary - A Friendly City"
- "Home, Sweet Home..."
- "CALGARY - CANADIAN PRARIE METROPOLIS"
- "I may live in Toronto..."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Calgary
- Hotels in Calgary
- Transportation in Calgary
- Nightlife in Calgary
- Restaurants in Calgary
- Shopping in Calgary
- Warnings and Dangers in Calgary
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Calgary
- 79 Reviews
- 79 Photos
- 145 Forum posts
- 119 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Calgary?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Calgary
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kananaskis Lakes Intro, 52 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 35 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of British Columbia Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos