"WHAT BANFF SHOULD BE" Top 5 Page for this destination Canmore by madamx
Canmore Travel Guide: 109 reviews and 181 photos
Canmore's original name was Chuwapchipchiyan Kude, or "The prairie where they shot the little pine" in Stoney Indian.
Since that was too hard to say fast five times, Donald Smith of the Canadian Pacific Railway renamed the area Canmore, after Malcolm Canmore III, who killed Macbeth the upsurper in the fight for the Scottish Throne in 1057.
Canmore's history is well-rooted in coal mining. The first major mine started operating in 1887, and carried on until the 1970's.
It was a quiet, sleepy town, known for more than a gas fill-up than anything else, until the 1990's when developers realized that Canmore had huge potential. The town is growing steadily, especially with development being curbed sharply in the Banff townsite.
Even with all the development, it's still a quaint town, and has that pleasant small-town atmosphere, where you notice when you walk down the street that people know each other.
Canmore doesn't offer the excitement or crowds of Banff -- I look to it as a place to relax, maybe have lunch, then spend the afternoon browsing in the shops.
If you aren't into shopping, take in the local park, up at Quarry Lake or drive up the Spray Lakes Trail and take in the breathtaking scenery.
Once you visit, you will agree, that you are indeed blessed to be in Canmore
- In a nutshell:A Little Hidden Treasure in the Rockies
Smitty's is a Canadian family restaurant chain, the first opened in Calgary in 1960. It's a family favorite where you... more travel advice
Patrino's is popular with the locals -- it's a nice restaurant that isn't too expensive and serves decent food. And... more travel advice
madamx's Related Pages
Canmore Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Canmore - the place to look up"
- "WHAT BANFF SHOULD BE"
- "Canmore - anyone for a winter wedding?"
- "The Start Of Our Rocky Mountains Adventure"
- "Canmore: Nice Town"
- "Welcome to the Canadian Rockies"
- "Canmore - Outdoor adventures"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Canmore
- Hotels in Canmore
- Transportation in Canmore
- Nightlife in Canmore
- Restaurants in Canmore
- Shopping in Canmore
- Warnings and Dangers in Canmore
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Canmore
- 19 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 7 Forum posts
- 19 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Canmore?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Canmore
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kananaskis Lakes Intro, 52 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 35 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of British Columbia Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos