"THE JEWEL OF THE ROCKIES" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Louise by madamx

Lake Louise Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 370 photos

~Beauty Seen is Never Lost~

John Greenleaf Whittier

Initally called Lake of Little Fishes by the Stony Indians, it was only in 1882 the first white man saw Lake Louise He was a guide named Tom Wilson, who named this glacial beauty Emerald Lake. However, it was renamed Lake Louise after Queen Victoria's daughter, and the glacier above it that creates Lake Louise appropriately named Victoria Glacier.

The Canadian Pacific Railway built a hotel here in 1890 to house the then tourist crowd flocking to the beautiful lake, and in 1925, the hotel was renamed The Chateau Lake Louise, and it remains a pricey tourist mecca to this day.

Even though I have to walk through the wafts of diesel fumes from the tour buses and dodge that carload of people creeping after me hoping I am leaving and they can take my parking spot, there is something about Lake Louise that draws me back time and time again.

My favorite time at Lake Louise is at twilight. There's a serene zen beauty that most people never see as you stroll the lake; as the sun sets, the stillness and lapping waters soothes the harried spirit, and Victoria Glacier turns various hues of pink and purple while the canoe house lights twinkle in the distance beside the Chateau.

So, please don't let the "Touristy" label of Lake Louise put you off. Lace up some hiking boots and climb some trails and get some unforgettable views of the Canadian Rockies. You will go back home with these memories forever, and realize that "beauty seen is never lost."

• In a nutshell:The beauty of this jewel shines through the tourist crowds
  • Intro Updated Sep 11, 2006

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    May 4, 2007 at 5:56 AM

Wow, Lake Louise is beautiful. Great pics and tips. Certainly a must do destination.

• lmkluque's Profile Photo
    Jan 24, 2007 at 9:43 AM

I read a book about this train stopping at Lake Louise, your tips were excellent! I especially enjoyed your written descriptions!

• Aug 4, 2006 at 10:52 AM

Actually, I used to work at Laggan's, and about a year ago they got Interac, BUT no credit. Trust me, a lot of customers got pissed off because of that.

• garridogal's Profile Photo
    Mar 11, 2006 at 5:42 AM

Wow, Lake Louise looks amazing! That pizza didn't look half bad either...!

• chewy3326's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2006 at 12:59 PM

Fantastic photos! I visited Lake Louise five years ago but did not have enough time to do a lot of hiking and exploring the area. Hope to visit again soon.

• lou31's Profile Photo
    Dec 23, 2005 at 2:47 AM

Just having a look around. These pages are excellant! and Lake Louise is a place I now would love to visit....thanks...

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Dec 2, 2005 at 1:47 PM

Wow, Lake Louise is really gorgeous! I really hope I can get there some day!!!! :)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Oct 4, 2005 at 1:01 PM

Brings back lovely memories of the stunning place - excellent page with great photos & tips

• Anchovy56's Profile Photo
    Aug 8, 2005 at 7:03 AM

My dad never taught me how to tickle fish sadly. His sister did try to teach me how to tickle the ivories once though. I hope your summer has not been as hot as mine

• XenoHumph's Profile Photo
    Jul 11, 2005 at 8:05 AM

The symbol of Canadian wilderness! What a beauty! excellent page! I hope you will enjoy Big Bend.

madamx Visits Here Frequently!

madamx

“*meeeep*”

Badges & Stats in Lake Louise

Have you been to Lake Louise?

Latest Activity in Lake Louise