"THE JEWEL OF THE ROCKIES" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Louise by madamx
Lake Louise Travel Guide: 135 reviews and 370 photos
John Greenleaf Whittier
Initally called Lake of Little Fishes by the Stony Indians, it was only in 1882 the first white man saw Lake Louise He was a guide named Tom Wilson, who named this glacial beauty Emerald Lake. However, it was renamed Lake Louise after Queen Victoria's daughter, and the glacier above it that creates Lake Louise appropriately named Victoria Glacier.
The Canadian Pacific Railway built a hotel here in 1890 to house the then tourist crowd flocking to the beautiful lake, and in 1925, the hotel was renamed The Chateau Lake Louise, and it remains a pricey tourist mecca to this day.
Even though I have to walk through the wafts of diesel fumes from the tour buses and dodge that carload of people creeping after me hoping I am leaving and they can take my parking spot, there is something about Lake Louise that draws me back time and time again.
My favorite time at Lake Louise is at twilight. There's a serene zen beauty that most people never see as you stroll the lake; as the sun sets, the stillness and lapping waters soothes the harried spirit, and Victoria Glacier turns various hues of pink and purple while the canoe house lights twinkle in the distance beside the Chateau.
So, please don't let the "Touristy" label of Lake Louise put you off. Lace up some hiking boots and climb some trails and get some unforgettable views of the Canadian Rockies. You will go back home with these memories forever, and realize that "beauty seen is never lost."
- In a nutshell:The beauty of this jewel shines through the tourist crowds
Arguably the best skiing in Canada (the main competition being Whistler-Blackcombe BC) Lake Louise Ski Resort is located... more travel advice
Lake Louise is a perfect location to enjoy hiking in the Rockies due to it's close proximity to Yoho, Kootenay, and... more travel advice
- Bring Some Warm Clothing
- See All It's a Beautiful Day in the...
- Samson Mall
- See All Shadow Lake Lodge
madamx's Related Pages
Lake Louise Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "THE JEWEL OF THE ROCKIES"
- "Lake Louise a famous lake in Canadian Rockies."
- "Lake Louise!"
- "Skiing on the white fluffy clouds of heaven"
- "Lake Louise, my best adventure time"
- "Lake , Snow & Ice - Magnificent Scenery"
- "Lake Louise in the Winter"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lake Louise
- Hotels in Lake Louise
- Transportation in Lake Louise
- Nightlife in Lake Louise
- Restaurants in Lake Louise
- Shopping in Lake Louise
- Warnings and Dangers in Lake Louise
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lake Louise
- 30 Reviews
- 30 Photos
- 4 Forum posts
- 26 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Lake Louise?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Louise
Photos in Lake LouiseSee All Photos (30)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kananaskis Lakes Intro, 52 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 35 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of British Columbia Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos