"Land of Lakes and Desert" Shuswap Lake by madamx

Shuswap Lake Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 42 photos

REST AND RELAXATION

The Shuswap (as it is referred to by Albertans) is a lovely area in Southern British Columbia, halfway between Calgary and Vancouver.

During the summer, this area is full of Albertans taking in as much heat and sun as possible, escaping from the fickle Alberta weather.

We had never really taken a vacation here before, and after spending a week here, decided it was the best vacation we had ever had. Why? Because The Shuswap offers nothing .... nothing except lazy summer days on the beach, or relaxing on your sun-dappled front porch overlooking the lake.

If you are looking for excitement and nightlife, then take a pass on The Shuswap. This is a place to soak up the sun, relax and do absolutely nothing other than drink in the beautiful surroundings and delight in the simple things of life. Guaranteed, the tranquility and easy country life will leave you relaxed and rejuvinated.

The Shuswap lakeshore covers approximately 260 miles, and only when you actually stay here does the enormity of the lake hit you. The lake is very clean, and you can swim here with no concerns.

There are also other beautiful, pristine lakes to enjoy, such as Adams Lake, Mara Lake, and Mabel Lake.

____________________________

Within two hours north or south of The Shuswap, the landscape varies incredibly from lush mountains with scenic waterfalls (Wells Gray Provincial Park) to lake country, to the Sonoran Desert (Osoyoos)

This area of British Columbia is addicting, and you can literally spend weeks exploring the nooks and crannies of The Shuswap -- country roads and markets, plus areas north and south. Don't forget to indulge in the local produce, such as lush peaches and juicy apples and taste the local wines.

Relaxation, lakes, sun, plus the
scenic landscape -- this wonderful combination will keep you coming back time and time again.

• In a nutshell:Life becomes Sweet and Slow
  • Intro Updated Oct 8, 2004

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Mar 10, 2012 at 6:43 PM

You did a nice job with this page. I just passed through Shuswap Area on the way to Banff. They told us we had just barely missed the salmon run. regards from maryland

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Sep 17, 2007 at 7:28 AM

Absolutely brilliant tips. Thoroughly enjoyed reading this, especially the restaurant tips!!!!!

• kzapanta's Profile Photo
    Apr 20, 2007 at 12:44 AM

thats the hot weather huh? I will go there to cool off! Great picture of the falls and I love fishing for sockeye.

• keida84's Profile Photo
    Oct 30, 2006 at 5:55 PM

Wow I love the apple farm and the B & B well our tastes are pretty similar there too. Your pages are well written, are useful quality tips. Another job well done. Kat

• Manara's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2006 at 9:01 AM

I am a big fan of lakes. I was happy to learn about this beautiful region.

• thedouglas's Profile Photo
    Aug 15, 2006 at 1:53 AM

I couldn't resist! What a beautiful place - and what a great job you've done to build the "allure"!! Damn the tyranny of distance!

• filmstar's Profile Photo
    May 26, 2006 at 8:25 AM

Wonderful page! definitely a worthwhile stop on our way to Regina.

• jojocan's Profile Photo
    Nov 5, 2005 at 3:04 PM

you know, we went houseboating down here once, way way back. i should try to find the pictures...

• BerniShand's Profile Photo
    Aug 11, 2005 at 2:37 PM

a wonderful read, another of the so many places I didnt know I wanted to visit ! I wouldnt have bet a penny on there being a desert in Canada, how amazing !

• DavidKeeling's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2005 at 10:58 AM

You're absolutely correct about the life here...serene. Three separate weeks spent houseboating on the lakes are forever etched in my memory.

madamx

“*meeeep*”

Badges & Stats in Shuswap Lake

Have you been to Shuswap Lake?

Latest Activity in Shuswap Lake