"Land of Lakes and Desert" Shuswap Lake by madamx
Shuswap Lake Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 42 photos
The Shuswap (as it is referred to by Albertans) is a lovely area in Southern British Columbia, halfway between Calgary and Vancouver.
During the summer, this area is full of Albertans taking in as much heat and sun as possible, escaping from the fickle Alberta weather.
We had never really taken a vacation here before, and after spending a week here, decided it was the best vacation we had ever had. Why? Because The Shuswap offers nothing .... nothing except lazy summer days on the beach, or relaxing on your sun-dappled front porch overlooking the lake.
If you are looking for excitement and nightlife, then take a pass on The Shuswap. This is a place to soak up the sun, relax and do absolutely nothing other than drink in the beautiful surroundings and delight in the simple things of life. Guaranteed, the tranquility and easy country life will leave you relaxed and rejuvinated.
The Shuswap lakeshore covers approximately 260 miles, and only when you actually stay here does the enormity of the lake hit you. The lake is very clean, and you can swim here with no concerns.
There are also other beautiful, pristine lakes to enjoy, such as Adams Lake, Mara Lake, and Mabel Lake.
Within two hours north or south of The Shuswap, the landscape varies incredibly from lush mountains with scenic waterfalls (Wells Gray Provincial Park) to lake country, to the Sonoran Desert (Osoyoos)
This area of British Columbia is addicting, and you can literally spend weeks exploring the nooks and crannies of The Shuswap -- country roads and markets, plus areas north and south. Don't forget to indulge in the local produce, such as lush peaches and juicy apples and taste the local wines.
Relaxation, lakes, sun, plus the
scenic landscape -- this wonderful combination will keep you coming back time and time again.
- In a nutshell:Life becomes Sweet and Slow
My hubby is a real nature nut and HAD to go to Turtle Valley. Turtle Valley is well-known in the area for being a large... more travel advice
Most people in the more rural areas appear to have aggressive guard dogs due to the abundance of bears in the area. Some... more travel advice
madamx's Related Pages
Shuswap Lake Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Land of Lakes and Desert"
- "Daniels Floating store"
- "A summer vacation at Shuswap Lake"
- "Shuswap Lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Shuswap Lake
- Hotels in Shuswap Lake
- Restaurants in Shuswap Lake
- Warnings and Dangers in Shuswap Lake
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Shuswap Lake
- 17 Reviews
- 21 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 25 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (21)
Have you been to Shuswap Lake?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Shuswap Lake
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kananaskis Lakes Intro, 52 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 35 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of British Columbia Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos