"AMONGST THE RED ROCKS" Top 5 Page for this destination Sedona by madamx
Sedona Travel Guide: 901 reviews and 2,158 photos
To describe Sedona in one word, it would be BEAUTIFUL. Make that ASTONISHINGLYBEAUTIFUL. It really is amazing that places like this exist. If you can, plan to arrive around late afternoon, when the light plays up the red rocks, and you will be blown away. We almost drove off the highway looking at all the gorgeous rock formations.
This being our very first visit to the area, we were prepared that Sedona would be touristy, but "touristy" would be an understatement, by far. Sedona is 90% sheer crass commercialism, and that was a total disappointment for us. We either saw cheesy tourist shops or glitzy ultra expensive galleries. Traffic was a total nightmare, on par with rush hour in a big city. We wanted to get out of town the first day.
So we did get out of town ... for most of the day, coming back to our inn to sleep. You can avoid the frustrations of tourist crowds and traffic, by disappearing into Red Rock Country. Get a Red Rock Pass, a good pair of hiking boots, and go! I really recommend driving around and exploring the area, hiking and walking, and only then will you truly appreciate the true beauty of Sedona.
- In a nutshell:When In Sedona, Get Out of Town!
This tip is particularly for Canadians or anyone who has trouble finding Mexican food products. Basha's is the place to... more travel advice
The red color of the rocks is created from layers of Hematite that "rust" when exposed to water or snow. You will find... more travel advice
madamx's Related Pages
Sedona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beautiful Sedona"
- "Sedona, Red Rock Country"
- "Sedona: General and Spiritual"
- "AMONGST THE RED ROCKS"
- "Spiritual Mecca, Artistic Enclave & Outdoor Wonder"
- "Sedona - A Beautiful Place in Arizona"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sedona
- Hotels in Sedona
- Transportation in Sedona
- Nightlife in Sedona
- Restaurants in Sedona
- Shopping in Sedona
- Warnings and Dangers in Sedona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sedona
- 26 Reviews
- 29 Photos
- 6 Forum posts
- 23 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (22)
Have you been to Sedona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sedona
Photos in SedonaSee All Photos (29)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Calgary Intro, 79 reviews, 79 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Banff National Park Intro, 54 reviews, 77 photos, 3 travelogues
- New York City Intro, 56 reviews, 58 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Kananaskis Lakes Intro, 52 reviews, 52 photos
- San Francisco Intro, 54 reviews, 42 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Arizona Intro, 42 reviews, 46 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Mexico Intro, 35 reviews, 43 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Province of British Columbia Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Las Vegas Intro, 34 reviews, 37 photos
- Italy Intro, 31 reviews, 32 photos